Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Crossbow Users...

Old 07-23-2003, 03:11 PM

Default Crossbow Users...

Old 07-23-2003, 05:38 PM

Default RE: Crossbow Users...

well[8D] you are right about the broad side of a barn door i can shoot exelent with a arrow that is bent like a bomarang . bullseye at 35 yards today with all those straight carbond arows i would be broke . if i was a bow hunter i would have to give it up cause of my back . (chipped vertebra from deer hunting 2 years ago .... it really does piss me off when guys think that they can shoot farther with a cross bow .........
Old 07-23-2003, 06:55 PM

Unfortunatly some of what you say is true...some people get a crossbow to get the extra season and don' t take the time to properly learn it' s limitations.But I would not go as far as to say ALL crossbow users are not archers.I use one now due to a spinal chord disease. I have bow hunted for nearly 20 years now, starting with a recurve, then compounds and have taken several animals with them.I no longer feel confident that I can make a humane kill, even with a release, and high let-off compound bow, so it was quit or go crossbow.But..I still consider myself an archer....just my .02 worth
Old 07-23-2003, 07:17 PM

Old 07-25-2003, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Turk_man I am very disapointed with your comments. Who is a true archer. Crossbows were around and in use long before compounds (which I have heard you praise) and suspect that you use.

Some people do not have the time needed to practice (family commentments) therefore they like the crossbow because they feel free to use it safely and humainly. You still need to practice with crossbows, you need to learn the arrow path just like with other bows, you just do not need the muscle mass to shoot a crossbow like you do with vertical bows. Archery hunting is getting close to your game to take with an arrow. Crossbows have the same hunting range (maxium about 35 yards) as compounds.

If your shooting compounds, and you say that " crossbow users are not archers" then you better include yourself in that catigory.

I personally know many who hunt with longbows, recurves, compounds and crossbows. They like tha choice of what tool to use on what day. Each bow gives a different benifit and problem while hunting. Being able to have this choice, to what to use, is the key.

If you use a compound to hunt and you cry that crossbows are not traditional, tTHEN YOU DO NOT HAVE A VOICE TO CRY WITH. Crossbows are more traditional than your compound.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:04 PM

Old 07-25-2003, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was told by a German friend that made the archery team in his homeland. He had to shoot a longbow, with no sights and no mechanical release. The percentage of archers who could hunt that way with accuracy would be a fraction of the total " true" modern archers.

I' ll stick with my crossbow. Practice with it before the season and make sure it' s sighted in. Then I' ll follow all the limitations of bow hunting when I use it to try to ensure a clean kill. The people who don' t do that with a crossbow, won' t do it with a rifle or a bow. It isn' t the firearm/bow it' s the person using it.

Dan O.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always thought Crossbows where a type of archery, just a different type. I own a Crossbow and aswell 2 compounds, maybe I' m not a archer because I have one. hmmmm never thought of that one [:' (]...BT
Old 07-31-2003, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

2) If i did shoot a recurve does that make me right and better than everyone shooting compounds? 3) To say that a compound is the same as a crossbow only shows that you have never shot a compound or it`s been so long that you forgot how much practise it does take to stay proficent.
Turk_man this is exactly what I am talking about. Archery equipment is archery equipment, it is just another tool of which a hunter has the choice of using. Many many independant experts who have researched archery equipment have stated that compounds and crossbows are generally equal in the advantages that they give the shooters or longbows and recurves. They state that the advantages are different but generally equal. In otherwords in certain situations, either the crossbow or the compound would better suit your hunting terrain. This is where your hunting choice comes in.

By the way; I still own my compound: a Browning Bushmaster which you probually do not even know about and yes I still remember how much it took to practice to become profeccient with it.

Check into history and you`ll find that even in ancient China crossbows shooters were never classed as archers. The developement of crossbows was because of the fact that good archers were hard to find and crossbows were an effective alternative.
I think you need to research more into the history of crossbows. Crossbows have been classed as archery equipment for thousands of years. The reason crossbows became a tool of choice is that the warriors did not have to practice as long to become efficant, therefore they could replace dead soldiers faster, but you will find out that the longbows normally defeated the crossbows because of the shear mass or volume or arrows they could sling in a minute compared to the crossbow.

As I said, crossbows are archery equipment and have been for longer then compounds.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:19 AM

Quick Reply: Crossbow Users...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.