Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Anticosti

Old 12-08-2007, 04:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anticosti

yes NOLINOR flies from montreal to anticosti ..i also use the same for caribou hunting up in caniapiscau ..
Old 12-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

I think Sepaq Anticosti has either dropped or is going to drop their moose hunt. They just can't compete with the other reserves on the mainland.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mustad

I think Sepaq Anticosti has either dropped or is going to drop their moose hunt. They just can't compete with the other reserves on the mainland.
moose hunt ????? i have been there 5 times and covered the island from port meunier to rivier renard and have never seen a moose ..
Old 12-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

"drette ça"

Ironically, two years ago a guy hunting with Sepaq in Renard "mistook" a moose to be a deer and actually shot it.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know I lived in Quebec for over 20 years and never got around to hunting Anticosti. I have done caribou 3 times but never the island. I have friends who went this year and loved it so now I'm tempted. Could those who go please describe the packages available including costs? I am thinking I might want to take my brother out as he has never hunted deer and this would likely get him hooked, LoL.... He is still a Quebec resident although I am now an Ontarian. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

the only advice i can give you is don't waste you time with "Sepaq " ..go with CERF-SAU OUTFITTER ..you will fly out from MONTREAL with NOLINOR you wont waste any time driving around ..when u land on the island u will only travel for 15 minutes to the main lodge at RIVIER BELL ...

http://www.fpq.com/en/outfitters.profile.asp?09-606
Old 12-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TerryM

You know I lived in Quebec for over 20 years and never got around to hunting Anticosti. I have done caribou 3 times but never the island. I have friends who went this year and loved it so now I'm tempted. Could those who go please describe the packages available including costs? I am thinking I might want to take my brother out as he has never hunted deer and this would likely get him hooked, LoL.... He is still a Quebec resident although I am now an Ontarian. Thanks.
Terry,

Hunting on Anticosti Island is a hoot. It's not trophy hunting, but it is alot of fun. Whatever method of hunting you want to do, you can. Tracking deer, Tree stand, Walking around and the always favorite Pickup truck... you can pretty much do anything you want.

There are 4 outfitters on the island.

Sepaq Anticosti has by far more places for you to go. However, as Heinz57 points out, their transportation logistics aren't the best. You need to get to Mont Joli, QC for a flight to Port Menier. From there, you are driven to your camp which can take between 10 minutes to over 4 hours depending on the camp.

Pourvoirie du Lac Geneviève - www.anticostiplg.com

Safari Anticosti - http://www.safarianticosti.com/

Cerf Sau - http://www.anticostiisland.com/

All the outfitters should offer both European plans and American plans. Since there is a flight involved, you will typically have weight restrictions. I have found that either the American plan is best or the European plan and coordinate with your guides to pick up your food prior to your arrival in Port Menier. I have done it both ways and have found the costs to be pretty close to each other. You will likely spend between $ 3,000 and $ 4,000 total including airfare for the trip.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. This is what I was looking for.