Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Anticosti

Old 09-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Spike

Default Anticosti

Hi,

I am off to Anticosti next week (9th trip). Does anyone know how the deer on the island are doing this year?

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anticosti

i have been there 5 times ,with the outfitter CERF-CEAU ..and stayed at rivier bell ...best hunting on the island is in november ..bucks are very active ..october we see a lot of fawns and females ...best time of the day for hunting is from 4:30 pm -to--1/2 hour after the sun sets ..hunting is good this year [low winter kill] our group is going the 27 of oct.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Spike

I hunted Cerf Sau a couple of times. It is a nice place. I hunt north of there at Safari Anticosti. You may have landed there at strip on the Saumon River.

I agree with you about the best time. If this year has been dry, be sure to hunt the bodies of water.

Oh well, next week at this time I'll be three days into the hunt.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

i like to hunt near the ocean ..at 5pm ..you can see them come out into the open to feed on the sea weeds ..i wait for them behind the lobster traps ..
Old 10-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Spike

Hi,

I got back last night. It was a very tough week to hunt. But, as always, it was a great week to be on the island.

The week before Canadian Thansgiving is normally the hardest week in the season as the bucks fully into their pre-rut seclusion.. This year it was made more difficult by what appears to be turning into a partial repeat of 2004 due to late spring storms. Racks, if you can get them are likely to be small. Judging from the uneaten browse, the handful of sightings on the road, and what I heard from the guides and other hunters, the deer numbers are low.

Have a good week. Just get ready to hunt a lot harder than usual.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

Do you guys know who Safari Anticosti and Cerf-Seau use to charter flights?

I've been going with Sepaq Anticosti and would like to continue, but the option of flying from Mont-Joli into Port Menier and then driving four hours to the other side of the island has gotten annoying. I would like to see if flying into Safari's strip is an option.

Just got back yesterday. Hunting was some of the best I've seen in years.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

I think I found the answer... nolinar. If this isn't right, let me know.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Did everyone do good this fall?? I have 2 groups of friends that went .1 went early october and got deer but 4 guys took 4 spike and 4 does, and the other group went late nov. and 4 guys took only 5 deer... they wanted big bucks and didn't find them.... Rodney

Old 12-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

I was with a group of 8. We got 8 bucks and 4 does. 4 of the bucks taken were mature. The others were either spikes or 4 points. I saw over 200 deer in 4 days. I would say 75% of them were does and fawns. Of the bucks, the majority were 4 points or less. I saw 7 mature bucks with antlers larger than their ears. Of those 7, 4 were shooters. Of those 4, I got one and missed one. The one I missed was the largest buck I've seen on the island. It was a terrible shot that I'm still losing sleep over. I'd say the deer was at least 140" which is VERY large by Anticosti standards.

I heard rumors that Sepaq may start trying to infuse some new genetics on the island. I think that would be a good thing, but they really need to try to get rid of some does. There are way too many.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Sepaq Should do just that, they should offer a cheaper Doe only hunt, I know that with their moose hunts if you are double group one moose has to be a female!! I am from Qc and I live on an island 90 miles south of Anticosti but I have never been ther YET!!90 miles isn't much on land but on water it is a different story!!! Rodney.

Quick Reply: Anticosti

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.