Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anticosti

Old 03-07-2005, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Anticosti

Hey, has anybody hunted here? If so, how was it? Would you go back? How many deer did your party shoot? How was the lodging, guides, food....? Just curious because I am thinking about going up there next fall with my father and brother, and I want to make sure that it is a well worth trip. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anticosti

My uncles and cousins went up there a few years back. They said the accomodations were great and they saw alot of deer but none of them really had any size to them. If you are going for a nice trip just to take a few small buck I would suggest it but I don't think it's really the place if you're looking for a record. If that's the case try Illinois, kansas or texas.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lots of midget deer.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sort of like a big pen..........
Old 03-07-2005, 10:25 PM

My grandpop hauled a couple nice ones outa there in the late 60`S, but I heard it has been going south for a while. Hell, ya ever try Jersey?
Old 03-08-2005, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

Damn, well I guess I will scratch that idea. The other place I was thinking of is Manitoba, Saskatchewan, or Alberta. And I know I don't have to ask people what the hunting is like there.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:42 AM

I saw a show this weekend where they hunted Anticosti and have the following observations-

1-small racked deer, most had very similar rack characteristics. Wide racks, short tines and uneven from side to side. These would be nice bucks in my part of the country but I would not pay big $$$ and travel long distance to hunt them
2- Lots of deer, many bucks were approached at close range and the hunter was getting away with alot of movement.
3- several kills were made by hunters walking down the road and approaching within 40 yards of a buck in the road.

For a paying big game hunter this would be a below average experience.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:48 AM

I saw a show this weekend where they hunted Anticosti and have the following observations-

1-small racked deer, most had very similar rack characteristics. Wide racks, short tines and uneven from side to side. These would be nice bucks in my part of the country but I would not pay big $$$ and travel long distance to hunt them
2- Lots of deer, many bucks were approached at close range and the hunter was getting away with alot of movement.
3- several kills were made by hunters walking down the road and approaching within 40 yards of a buck in the road.

For a paying big game hunter this would be a below average experience.