Question bow guys?  HELP >

Question bow guys? HELP

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Question bow guys? HELP

Old 12-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Question bow guys? HELP

Hey guysI shoot a martin Cougar Mag, so this is not for me but I am kinda out of the loop interms of bows. We had a discussion last night (we being the core of our elk hunting crew) about going in bow season vs rifle. One reason being the amount of cows. The cow only draw is an option but not the same as the potential for the call and bull is their with archery vs a cow only tag. Not to mention the chase aspect, finding groups of elk in late october would not be that tough and going in December(late season) would almost seem unfair of course this year with all the snow iot mighbt be a beach getting around. So I am saying BOW fellas, though the problem is the others all have older bows and really low self esteem about using them on anything much less elk.

So I come to you to ask what bows should I suggest to the fellas??? I would like forgiving, easy to shoot, good quality options of both moderate priced to top end?One is thinking switchback or nothing so he might be set. The others are pretty much in the stone age with regards to such and not sure they'll want to fork out this type of cointo begin with. Oh yeah one of the stone age fellas is a south paw as well so i am sure that will hamper his options but fire away.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

(I know post it in the bow forum would be better but I'll try the crew here first)
Old 12-02-2006, 03:46 PM

Default RE: Question bow guys? HELP

My advice is to go to Biggar and shoot every bow possible. Go in with an open mind and try them all out then make the decision which one do i shoot the best for the amount of money i want to spend. The boys there deal mathews, bowtech, martin, alpine as well as their own line of APA including the fastest bow on the market the Black Mamba. I would tell your buddies to call the shop in Biggar, lettem know when your coming down and car pool over. You could also check #1 archery in regina i hear they are good also but i deal strictly with the biggar boys. My bow is actually a little on the ancient side as well, got it second hand. I have never gone into a shop and shot other bows but if i was to buy new which i will in 5 years or so this is how i will do it. You don't need a top of the line bow to hunt with but CONFIDENCE is evrything. If the boys are lacking in their beliefs on the equipment sendem to buy new. Might as well keep their old bows as backups because not too many people want an outdated bow. they are just about as bad as computers i find. Just from reading the thread in the bow forum "I shot them all last night" the mathews switchbackxt and bowtech alliegence are amoung the top but bowtech is coming out with a few newbies for 07. But that is only one mans shooting opinon, different spokes for different folks. I personally would like to have a rip at that balck mamba, i have never shot one and glad i never did while i was at the shop this summer cause i prolly woulda bought it lol rips at 345ftps woooweeeee shut my mouth, slap your grandma. Oh if ya go there givem ol hia's name, might swing me a deal next time lol [8D]

thanxs jeff got me all horny for archery elk again. [:@]
Old 12-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Spike

Skeeter......I have shot a few bows....one that feels the best for me ( ME) only my hunting partners do not like it....but I shoot a Browning BrigerII BR3A its a personal preference that i have learnt to shoot well with..however...the new bows out there kick the craaaaaap outta this one
Sprocky
Old 12-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks fellas.

Hia they will only be buying from AL ifI have anything to say about it, he's been my guy since he was doing it in his house in biggar! Though I'll make sure they mention the fella from chelan.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:48 PM

skeeter another thing is to if the boys get a good bow that they shoot well and get a bit of success with they will use it more and more for things other than elk. I got mine for strictly elk but have killed a muley around stoon, wt buck, chased moose , a few grouse etc. It seems to snowball the more success you have. That may help convince a few of them to cut open the matress and make the purchase.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skeeter,
Careful about the archery thing it's addictive. Top end bows would include:
Bowtech Allegiance
Mathews Switchback
Hoyt Vectrix
APA
These are all topnotch bows so you should try and shoot them to get the best "fit" for you. They are all a little bit different but all top of the heap really. Seeing as you live out west I would definitely try the APA bows, the specs are good unfortunately they are hard to find out east.
As for arrows and accessories pop over to the bowhunting section here and any and all questions will be answered quickly. I think you will be impressed when you try the new generation of bows and your buddies will likely feel more confident with the new stuff.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at the Diamond line up.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

Skeeter...buying a bow is worse than getting a gun these days. The choices are endless...as everyone says, try as many as possible (see which scope is best) One thing to keep in mind, I got mine on-line about 5 yrs ago, sight unseen. Best purchase I ever made. The new bows (mine is outdated now probably) now are 10x better than anything old. They are all decent no matter what brand. Just break it down by cost first, that will eliminate alot! Then style & look, lastly feel & availability. There are some places online & e-bay that have some smokin deals that canadian stores can't touch. I paid $300 for my Hoyt (5 yrs back) for an entire pkg. Bow, 6 carbon arrows, sites, rest, etc. the store here had it for $999 (bow only). I have been a happy camper ever since. Good luck bud, I'm a Hoyt fan but have seen some great new bows out there.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

I would add Ben Pearson bows to Terry's list.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Although I only tried 4 bows, I settled on the Hoyt Trykon XL.

I presume from pictures you are as big as me (6'1'', 165lbs) and could handle the weight of the bow. I shoot it at 70lbs draw, and its a very smooth and fluent shot. With practice (I shouldbe emphasizing that point to myself, not to you!) it is easily deadly out around 50yrds.

biggest drawback on this bow is its weight - I think its about 1lb heavier than its competition.

Quick Reply: Question bow guys? HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.