Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 08-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Then in Nov. I'll be here for a BIG Whitetail!

Old 08-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

And just down the road...same place in Northern AB.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

And as for geese!

Old 08-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

If all else fails...out of my tree stand late Nov.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

JD
In your first Nov. pic is the frozen river the Battle river? All you pick look "deery". Have a good year.

Robin down under
Old 08-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a pick of my deer hotspot. Tight spot overlooking a tiny clearing. I have a 16' homemade ladder stand on it. This ridge is just criss-crossed w/ trails. I've been hunting this spot for 3yrs now and every year it gets better...... I've even found better spots for stands but only put portables on them. The last picis of the view that the deer get of my stand
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g234/RedCat_2006/summer06033.jpg[/IMG]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g234/RedCat_2006/summer06034.jpg[/IMG]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g234/RedCat_2006/summer06035.jpg[/IMG]i57.photobucket.com/albums/g234/RedCat_2006/summer06036.jpg

Sorry about having to click to view...... any suggestions would be helpful. As you can see they are through photobucket.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:21 PM
JPF
Fork Horn

Hey Skeeter, where are you planning on elk hunting. This will be my first time elk hunting, i'll be heading up to the greenwater, chelan, mistatim area with a couple buddies. Like I said , I've never hunted elk, any tips, pointers??

Justin
Old 08-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Duffy, it's not the Battle...actually it's just a little creek on the property we hunt. I've seen many deer slip & slide on it. Funny to watch!
Old 08-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JPF

Hey Skeeter, where are you planning on elk hunting. This will be my first time elk hunting, i'll be heading up to the greenwater, chelan, mistatim area with a couple buddies. Like I said , I've never hunted elk, any tips, pointers??

Justin
Justin, I hunt the Swan Plain/Norquay area for elk.

As far as tips, cow call, get into your position early, know the wind at all times and be ready. If the elk are responding to calling and your in the bush, work in tandems have the shooter setup min 100 yards in front of the caller and work them this way. I suggest getting a couple of cow calls and make cow/calf talk to represent a herd vs the same note all the time. If your crew is on its first elk trip, find some instructional CD's or videos so you can hear the sounds and get an idea what the different calls mean. Unlike whitetails where we are use to hearing grunts, alarm and maybe bleat/fawn bawls, elk are very vocal and hunters can hear many different sounds from them. Ie: barks, grunts, growl, bugles, mews and chuckles can all come from a bull. Cows basically bark and mew but the variations of the mews are fairly expansive. So getting an idea what those sounds are and what they mean will help in your hunt. Don't try to learn or use all the calls, stick to the easy and effective cow/calf as the baseline. If your wanting to bull call location bugle and spike squeals would be a good mix. If you find yourself getting the hang of calling the next call I'd suggest is the chuckle. When calling if you hit a sour note don't stop, follow through with the call. I have heard aweful actual elk and way to go humans...point is they don't all sound like a record. Don't over call, especially the bugle. I cow call every 15-20 minutes, where asI may only bugleonce during an hour. If they are talking I pick up my calls asI see fit.

I assume your hunting with the rifle, so make sure he has at least spikes before squeezing!!!![8D]

Carry a few sharp knives and enjoy the heck out of the experience. Some of my most memorable times aren't when I got to notch the tag but playing/chasing and being with elkwhere no shot firedor arrow was let go.

Buy a whitetail tag, just never know what you'll see during elk season. If at all an interest a black bear tag is a cheap investment and very real possibility when chasing elk.

PS Hair standing up on end is a natural occurance when you hear elk talking.

When are you going?

Hope it helps some and best of luck to your crew.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

JD, once again nice photos.She's a comin'eh!!

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.