2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 10-26-2006, 07:09 AM
JPF
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

skeeter: Another crew we knew up there was calling and called in a real nice one, they got him. We tried calling but didnt have no luck, it was me and my friends first attempt at elk, learned lots, hopefully make out better next time

Old 10-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are a different game for sure. I hunted elk off and on till 1997, I have hunted them every year with either bow or rifle since, isn't a year they haven't taught me a lesson ortwo. They get into your blood. Good luck next time

Old 10-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hia show up yet guys ....with pics of his buck?

Hope everyone up North is enjoying their whitetail and elk hunting..and all the other critters you guys are getting after! Be safe.

Troy
Old 10-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Nah Hia's dissapeared!

Not a whole lot to report here interior of BC. Decent/a little warm weather.
Was out last night scouting my bow area - caught as big group of does and a young (3pt) mulie buck followin em and sniffin around. Possibly signs of the rut! Havent run into anything big enough, or legal (4pt +) yet though.
Heading out for whitetail the next couple days, will report back if we have any success!

Good luck to the rest of yas!
Old 10-27-2006, 02:22 PM

Well i bagged myself a whitey and little did i know it was a fawn (the mom was hiding behind a pile of wood and went running when i shot) and on top of it it was a button buck. I ended up taggin him with my supplemental tag so i didnt waste my general on him thank god. It was my first whitey in 9 years so im glad i finally got one. Earlier in the day i had shot a nice big ole 5x5 buck but searched for hours and couldnt find him.Heading out tomorrow for elk and hopefully ill bag one. Report back with some pics and a story if i do get one.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just cut and pasted this post from Team 34 (Heavy Horned) official thread, just an encounter, but it happened to me in Canada :

I got out for a couple hours tonight, it was real slow untill I lightly worked the rattle bag.
I was watching the woodline (into the wind) for a while then turned to scan the meadow behind me, what a surprise, the big 10pt I posted on the 1st page of this thread was standing there, looking for bucks. He stood dead still looking my direction for 20mins at about 80yrds, I couldn't take it anymore and hit the bag again with my hands hidden behind my backpack - he perked his ears but didn't move. After another 5 mins with no movement I had to try something so I tipped over the can twice, he perked up his ears again but didn't move closer, I rattled again, nothing. I remember that I have a small grunt tube around my neck, I've never used it as a call before, more to stop a deer for a shot, I give it a grunt, ears perk up, but stays put. By now its getting dark, the deer is still 80yrds awayand downwind, I figue if anything is gonna happen it has to be soon so I reach to grab my bow off its hook to be ready in case the impossible happens. Nothing happens, he clearly knows something is out of place and he walks off, my desperate last calls with The Can get his flag up and he leaps back into the far treeline.
Long post, I know, and I realize that I could have handled the situation better, but it was still awsome. This buck is not only bigger than my best gun buck, but its the biggest deer that I've ever seen while afield. With only one archery deer under my belt I can't say that I'll hold out and specifically hunt this buck, but getting him would be a dream come true.

I took this pic back in August:

Attachment (1)
Old 10-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

tschaef, good luck to you. Rattling is a fun gig, IMO worth the effort just to envoke a response like your story tells.

I'mheading to my ML spot for whitetails tomorrowin the afternoon(place a few blinds, trim, scout, etc) and then do a sitin the evening, just maybe a whitetail will present itself. I have a doe tag as well to fill but if I deceide to fill it will be based on where I sit and time of the opportunity.If the wind is right I may try some spar rattling. Will report back to my adventures.

Shed haven't heard boo from hia yet. He did say only internet connection was at school and he'd be limited.

Good luckthis weeked all.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some suprises today but was pretty productive!! Started out on the wrong foot bumped a few does anddecent buck (140 5)when setting up one of my blinds. Man was his neck ever swollen, head on shoulders really!! The deer have totally changed their travel in this location in the past couple weeks, I had to do a lot of trimming as Ihad to revamp where I was going to set up...darn deer are travelling right through my previous spot! Lots ofsmall rubs andfound 2 small starterscrapes. I took my digital camera only to find out dumb/dumb didn't charge the batteries while taking the first pic it went black and never turned on again! #2 location was very disappointing like #1 they have switched movements and are now going on a beeline for a fall rye field vs through my willow draw. Not one rub foundin mypreviously dubbed "rutting alley". I still dropped the blind just in case.
Weird stuff I got to my other spot, walk in only to find a hunter nearmy blind. I Asked what he was doing?(I was polite..seriously) He stated the obvious "UH HUNTING". I then changed my tone just a little "on posted land???". Brain fart man used the ever popular line "landowner gave me permission". I said; "Really, who are you? I don't recall giving you permission???". StumblePuck says "UHHH this is your land?" No reply was warranted in my mind just a directional pointed lookto where he needed to go and fast[:@]! I deciede heck I have been to all but 1 of my blinds might as well go check it out for a sit. Started with 2 yearling bucks (spike and spike plus a Y), a doe with 3 fawns(she dwarfed the young bucks in body size) andmores does and fawns started to spill out. With about 20 minutes left to go 2 groups of smaller bucks, all 5 werebasket rack holders but nice to see boys frequenting the area. With only minutes left movement in the bush to the N and then appeared peering over the fence. Finally a mature buck I thought. Light wasgetting dim while still being legal but the binos had just enough to reveal a 5x5 with pretty good tine length, beams and spread 18". I could not really tell mass, it wasn't huge by no stretch butassume it was average. When he hoped the fence I noticed his belly was flat across and to me this indicates a younger deer. Gut feeling was 150 area deer but withpoor light andimpression wasyoung, I never really gave it to much thought to switch from binos to scope. I ended up getting stuck in my blind till well after legal for fear I'd educate the deer, dark walk back to the pony let me tell you.

Good day though.

Man I like whitetails compared to them sage eating/donkey ears/pain my royal arse deer!!

Old 10-29-2006, 01:47 AM
JPF
Fork Horn

speaking of the royal pain in the arse deer, I was goin to the hills to check my stealth cam and on the way my little bro noticed a nice muley in a hay field ( he was drawn), so we go home get his tag and my muzzle loader. We sneak up within 50 yards, standing shot, but somthing wasnt in our favour and my brother ended up shooting high on the deer, we snuck up on him again and got 150 yards shot, same result. Then my brother realizes his tags fell out of his pocket, as we are looking for is tags one of my buddies sees the deer standing off a road, goes and grabs his brother who was drawn in the same zone, drives out, sneaks up behind a bale and drops the deer, just my luck, i've been walking my @ss of all morning sneaking up on this thing and they drive up walk 50 yards and drop him. Oh well atleast it was one of my buds, we got pictures once I get them ill postem up. ( deer grossed 178 and netted 177 even)

PS- we found my brother tags
Old 10-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

JPF, that is some tough love you experienced this weekend!I feel your painwhile not exactly the samehave pushed a fewanimals unknowingly tounexpecting but willing guns...[:@]. Even steven that buck was only lossing an 1"...WOW. So bro is waiting for rifle now or is he goping to make it out the final 2 days of smokepole? In any regards good luck.

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.