HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 11:45 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Some suprises today but was pretty productive!! Started out on the wrong foot bumped a few does anddecent buck (140 5)when setting up one of my blinds. Man was his neck ever swollen, head on shoulders really!! The deer have totally changed their travel in this location in the past couple weeks, I had to do a lot of trimming as Ihad to revamp where I was going to set up...darn deer are travelling right through my previous spot! Lots ofsmall rubs andfound 2 small starterscrapes. I took my digital camera only to find out dumb/dumb didn't charge the batteries while taking the first pic it went black and never turned on again! #2 location was very disappointing like #1 they have switched movements and are now going on a beeline for a fall rye field vs through my willow draw. Not one rub foundin mypreviously dubbed "rutting alley". I still dropped the blind just in case.
Weird stuff I got to my other spot, walk in only to find a hunter nearmy blind. I Asked what he was doing?(I was polite..seriously) He stated the obvious "UH HUNTING". I then changed my tone just a little "on posted land???". Brain fart man used the ever popular line "landowner gave me permission". I said; "Really, who are you? I don't recall giving you permission???". StumblePuck says "UHHH this is your land?" No reply was warranted in my mind just a directional pointed lookto where he needed to go and fast[:@]! I deciede heck I have been to all but 1 of my blinds might as well go check it out for a sit. Started with 2 yearling bucks (spike and spike plus a Y), a doe with 3 fawns(she dwarfed the young bucks in body size) andmores does and fawns started to spill out. With about 20 minutes left to go 2 groups of smaller bucks, all 5 werebasket rack holders but nice to see boys frequenting the area. With only minutes left movement in the bush to the N and then appeared peering over the fence. Finally a mature buck I thought. Light wasgetting dim while still being legal but the binos had just enough to reveal a 5x5 with pretty good tine length, beams and spread 18". I could not really tell mass, it wasn't huge by no stretch butassume it was average. When he hoped the fence I noticed his belly was flat across and to me this indicates a younger deer. Gut feeling was 150 area deer but withpoor light andimpression wasyoung, I never really gave it to much thought to switch from binos to scope. I ended up getting stuck in my blind till well after legal for fear I'd educate the deer, dark walk back to the pony let me tell you.

Good day though.

Man I like whitetails compared to them sage eating/donkey ears/pain my royal arse deer!!