HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 03:29 PM
tschaef
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

I just cut and pasted this post from Team 34 (Heavy Horned) official thread, just an encounter, but it happened to me in Canada :

I got out for a couple hours tonight, it was real slow untill I lightly worked the rattle bag.
I was watching the woodline (into the wind) for a while then turned to scan the meadow behind me, what a surprise, the big 10pt I posted on the 1st page of this thread was standing there, looking for bucks. He stood dead still looking my direction for 20mins at about 80yrds, I couldn't take it anymore and hit the bag again with my hands hidden behind my backpack - he perked his ears but didn't move. After another 5 mins with no movement I had to try something so I tipped over the can twice, he perked up his ears again but didn't move closer, I rattled again, nothing. I remember that I have a small grunt tube around my neck, I've never used it as a call before, more to stop a deer for a shot, I give it a grunt, ears perk up, but stays put. By now its getting dark, the deer is still 80yrds awayand downwind, I figue if anything is gonna happen it has to be soon so I reach to grab my bow off its hook to be ready in case the impossible happens. Nothing happens, he clearly knows something is out of place and he walks off, my desperate last calls with The Can get his flag up and he leaps back into the far treeline.
Long post, I know, and I realize that I could have handled the situation better, but it was still awsome. This buck is not only bigger than my best gun buck, but its the biggest deer that I've ever seen while afield. With only one archery deer under my belt I can't say that I'll hold out and specifically hunt this buck, but getting him would be a dream come true.

I took this pic back in August:

Attachment (1)