Newfoundland Moose Hunt >

Newfoundland Moose Hunt

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Newfoundland Moose Hunt

Old 08-05-2006, 06:36 AM
Spike

Default Newfoundland Moose Hunt

Hey everyone, I need any and all info. on Newfoundland Moose Hunts. This has been my dream hunt and I think I can finally plan it. So...if anyone has been on this hunt, has info. or suggestions, etc. I would really appreciate hearing from you. I am thinking of driving; is this crazy? Seems like it would be cheaper, even w/ the price of gas. How did you get your horns and meat back? I could take it with me but gotta keep it frozen.

Anyhow, please let me hear from you and THANKS![8D]
Old 08-05-2006, 06:15 PM

Default RE: Newfoundland Moose Hunt

hey muncy--i rebuilt your town sewer plant back in the 80's. wait a minute, that is not why i am e-mailing you. i live in hanover, pa and have been going to newfoundland hunting since 1998. give me a call and i can fill you in on a fantastic outfitter and all the details for a great hunt. i drive from hanover. my phone 717-637-1365.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

Hey CD, Does your outfitter also offer Woodland Caribou? I need a Woodland to complete my slam on Caribou. I have swapped hunts for all of my Caribou but can find an outfitter in Newfoundland who wants to swap. So looks like I will have to go the other route. Couldn't make a hunt this year but would really be interested in 07.

Thanks,

Old 08-07-2006, 11:57 AM

Hey Goatslayer-- PM me your phone no. and i will call you with all info on caribou in newfoundland. Just got confirmation for moose and caribou for 2007.

[email protected]
Old 08-07-2006, 09:42 PM
bigcountry

I used to go with an outfitter "viking trail", nice people, but never really produced good moose. Last time only got a shot last day and on a 4 pt, never got a good stalk or anything. Its brutal hunting. Up in the north part it is anyway. Black spruce and bogs really take it out of you. I flew into deer lake and they picked us up. I think everybody knows everybody up there. I would have some neighbor of his pick me up, and say, "yea, I owed him a favor". I think thats how they deal with everything, favor for a favor.

Anyway, his outfit was way overhunted in my opinion. I wouldnt mind to go back up. But down south somewhere with different outfitter. Get in serious shape, I seem to get hurt every trip. Sprain a angle here, pull my hip there. I alway am glad when it freezes up and bogs are easier to manover in.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

cd,

Sent you a PM ...

Goatslayer...
Old 08-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you want a moose go to NFLD, if you want a big moose go west young man!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 02:00 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

If you want a moose go to NFLD, if you want a big moose go west young man!!!
skeeter speaks the truth. Every time I fly out of deer lake, out of maybe 40 hunters flying out I may see 2 decent trophies in Newfieland.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I have been to central NL for the past 3 years and have only hunted Woodland Caribou. We have had 100% success each year on nice bou. Last year 4 of us drove up from Vermont and 2 of us scored on SCI book bou and the other 2 scored real decent animals just out of book range. We all saw lots of animals and quite a few moose. Our outfitter is Snowshoe Lake Hunting and Fishing and they take real good care of the hunters with great guides and fantastic food. No problem bringing the frozen and processed caribou back in a 156 qt cooler. The return trip took a couple of days and the meat was still frozen solid when we got home. A moose would require 2of the coolers or a freezer box built into the back of a truck or trailer. Get in shape because it is a physically difficult hunt. Incidentlythe guides are expert at calling the bull moose especially if you are going in late Sept or early to mid October.