Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Scope Help

Old 02-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scope Help

I am going to buy a new scope for my No. 1 hunting rifle. My hunting area is just not conducive to what I have on it now, which is a Swarovski 1" tube, 4-12x50mm. Shots are not ever going to exceed 200 yards. Most will be in the woods and rather close. Unfortunately my eyesight will not allow me to go open sight. I was thinking something like rather compact 1.5 -6x42mm, maybe illuminated. Any one have first hand knowledge of the latest Swarovski or Zeiss products along this line? Thanks.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scope Help

You might want to look at the Swarovski Z-6 1x6 or the 1.7x10.

http://www.swarovskioptik.com/index....Z6%20%2F%20Z6i
Old 02-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is another suggestion. Check out Trijicon Accupoints. Their glass is quite good, and they offer illumination without batteries. For dark woods or twilight hours they present an unbelievable view. My reference was a 3-9 X 40 with the amber triangle. They offer red as well, plus a couple of other reticle choices, plus a couple of sizes. Check them out.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

In that range I would consider the Zeiss Conquest as well, great scope.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldn't waste my money on a Swarovski. this last week i went to Gander Mountain and looked through a $2,000.00 Swarovski and was disappointed. it was no brighter or clearer than my $400.00 Pentax Lightseeker. i know Swarovski has a good reputation in optics but i think they are way over priced and people pay the money for the name.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't be too quick to judge optical quality in a store (especially with artifical light). Lots of scopes look good then. Once outside, especially at twilight times, differences are evident. I have two Swaro's and wouldn't trade them for anything. However, with that said, there are many other good scopes out there that suffice for most hunting situations.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bugsNbows

I wouldn't be too quick to judge optical quality in a store (especially with artifical light). Lots of scopes look good then. Once outside, especially at twilight times, differences are evident. I have two Swaro's and wouldn't trade them for anything. However, with that said, there are many other good scopes out there that suffice for most hunting situations.
don't get me wrong, i'm not saying they aren't good scopes. i'm saying that particular scope wasn't impressive enough for me to shell out 2 grand. for 2 grand that scope better be the mac daddy with a built in range finding system. imo my $400.00 Pentax Lightseeker is as bright and clear as any scope i have ever looked through...even at twilight hours. my biggest complaint with that $2,000.00 Swarovski scope was the very thin cross hairs. i can only imagine the headaches it would cause when shooting in low light. the cross hairs were hard to see in optimal light. it may have been just a target scope for all i know but i would never mount that scope on a hunting rig. i am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" but from personal experiences the Pentax Lightseeker scopes are an exception to that rule.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pentax has some very good offerings... as does Sightron, Nikon, Burris, Bushnell, Zeiss Conquest, Leupold, Kahles, Trijicon, etc. all of which are cheaper than the high end Swaro's. The AV Swaro line is very impressive at a considerably lower cost than the Z-6 line. The reticle choices are varied, so that the thin crosshairs would be typically used only for targets or long range P-dogs for example. Also, one needs to decide on FFP vs. SFP designs. I think we are on the same page here. There are many very good choices out there for less than top dollar prices.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input. Went with the 1.5-6x42 with #4 reticule. New Z6 - well $$$ was a object after all! Got a great deal on a "take off". Guy wanted a 2.5-10. My gain. Got it for about 55% of NIB. This guy bought the scope I bought "used" from same shop on 11-0-08. Not a mark on it. Now to get it mounted and head to the range.