Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Which Scope for Close Whitetail >

Which Scope for Close Whitetail

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Which Scope for Close Whitetail

Old 11-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Spike

Default Which Scope for Close Whitetail

I'm looking to pick up a new scope and was wondering what everyone thought about whether I go with a 3-9x40 or a 2.5-8x36. I hunt whitetail only in thick areas where the average shot is about 50 yards but in some areas I can shoot up to 100 yards. Gun will be a 270 or a 7mm-08 and these are the only two scopes I'm considering.

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Scope for Close Whitetail

Either is fine. The 3-9 X40 is more common and the 2.5-8 x 36 is likely to be lighter and / or more compact. Depending upon the rifle, one may look and balance better, but both would likely work fine on the calibers mentioned. Just get good glass and you will be good to go. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree... The 3-9x40 is everywhere, and for good reason. It is the #1 most common "do everything" scope for rifles. I have a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope on my old Savage .308 and it is perfect. Set on "3"you can clearly see everything out there at close range. Set on "9" and you can clearly see the exact placement for a shot at a nice buck at 150 yards.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you wouldn't consider a 1.5x-5x? If not,then by all means go with the 2.5x-8x. You won't need much magnfication at all but you'll darn sure need WIDEEE field of view and in that case,less IS better.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like my 3x9x40mm's and for me I wouldn't want to go any smaller power wise as I often shoot on 9x. I have two of those and one 3x9x32mm. Some buddies like lower powered scopes though and never turn these up past 5x. That's just not how I like my scope but it kind of comes down to personal preference. If it was me for 100 yards I'd get a 3x9x40mm plus they are as said everywhere. At 9 power it does really well at 100 yards. I wouldn't even mind having something with a little more power.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:08 AM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you wouldn't consider a 1.5x-5x? If not,then by all means go with the 2.5x-8x. You won't need much magnfication at all but you'll darn sure need WIDEEE field of view and in that case,less IS better.
I agree. Low magnification and a wide field of view is the way to go for close work.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the years I've been in this business,I've noticed a trend in LOTS more magnafication in riflescopes. In the past,a good solid 4x scope was all that they needed to shoot deer out to even 300-400 yards. Scopes have improved so now a 4x scope is even better than they used to be,and certainly the deer havn't shrunk. Most of the sob stories I've heard about missing or even not being able to take a shot,besides not using a solid rest,is due to inexperienced hunters using 3x-9x scopes(or even more powerful) and leaving them set on the highest power. It DON'T take a lot of magnafication to cleanly shoot a deer within any reasonable range-if you can't see it clearly with a GOOD 4x-6x scope,or set on those powers,you're just too darn far away or you havn't yet learned what the oldtimers found out the hard way. Since a cheap scope can IN NO WAY offer the quality of glass lenses that a good scope offers,sometimes it is neccesary to turn them up more while attempting to get clarity. As a general rule,everybody knows to always keep variable scopes turned down to lowest setting except when hunting strictly at long range ONLY. When you see a deer at close range or they jump up from bedding,it's a LOT easier to find them in scope in order to take a shot when scope is set at low setting. If you see a deer at longer range,you'll usually have time to turn it up. It makes NO sense whatsoever to deliberately handicap yourself by hunting with a scope set too high-ESPECIALLY at close range.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

In the years I've been in this business,I've noticed a trend in LOTS more magnafication in riflescopes. In the past,a good solid 4x scope was all that they needed to shoot deer out to even 300-400 yards. Scopes have improved so now a 4x scope is even better than they used to be,and certainly the deer havn't shrunk. Most of the sob stories I've heard about missing or even not being able to take a shot,besides not using a solid rest,is due to inexperienced hunters using 3x-9x scopes(or even more powerful) and leaving them set on the highest power. It DON'T take a lot of magnafication to cleanly shoot a deer within any reasonable range-if you can't see it clearly with a GOOD 4x-6x scope,or set on those powers,you're just too darn far away or you havn't yet learned what the oldtimers found out the hard way. Since a cheap scope can IN NO WAY offer the quality of glass lenses that a good scope offers,sometimes it is neccesary to turn them up more while attempting to get clarity. As a general rule,everybody knows to always keep variable scopes turned down to lowest setting except when hunting strictly at long range ONLY. When you see a deer at close range or they jump up from bedding,it's a LOT easier to find them in scope in order to take a shot when scope is set at low setting. If you see a deer at longer range,you'll usually have time to turn it up. It makes NO sense whatsoever to deliberately handicap yourself by hunting with a scope set too high-ESPECIALLY at close range.
I will say I often keep mine set at 3x or 4x power and then if I'm watching a deer in it I will often watch it in 3x or 4x power but turn it up to 9x right before I shoot just to get it zoomed in on what I want to shoot at. If it's a deer running of jumping up or something I leave the scope turned down low. I only turn it up when the deer is a ways out standing still.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually keep all my scopes turned down,even when shooting unless at the range or a long shot presents itself. I totally agree with you on everything except cranking up scope before shooting close range shots.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Not sure what you are putting this on, but when I hear up to 100 yards, I immediately think dot sight or low power fixed scope. Maybe one of the small diameter dot sight would look and handle right on your rifle.

100 max = 1x or 2x
150 max = 2x - 4x

Just my opinion. I have made lots of 0 - 350 yard shots with a Weaver(1960's era) 4x scope. I made those shots in the 90's.. Dad's rifle. I never felt cheated, but it was all I knew at the time.