Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope too Close to barrel? >

Scope too Close to barrel?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope too Close to barrel?

Old 02-14-2005, 09:33 AM
bigcountry

Default Scope too Close to barrel?

I would like to hear from the more experienced members opinions. I got a sako 75 with a Leupold Vari X III 3.5-10X50mm. I only have like 2mm clearance off the barrel.

Is this too close? Do you think there is any contact with the barrel and scope during fireing. I know the barrel expands there and comes back.

I am having trouble finding these optilocks in Medium for a decent price.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Scope too Close to barrel?

That's pretty close mount. I doubt the barrel will hit it. You might try shimming the scope up - I've used coke cans for shim material at the range; they're easy to work with. If you want something made for shimming, Brownells sells Hart scope shimming material, they're about $4 for what you need.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice Gun There should be a mark on the barrel if the scope were hitting..looks tight though but really can't tell without being closer. Might want to try Ebay, Basspro shop,Accuflite sports or DNR I know you'll get lucky with one of those.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same clearance on my rifle and I have hundreds of rounds through it and it does not hit the barrel.

Tom
Old 02-14-2005, 11:31 AM
bigcountry

I will keep an eye out on it. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had about the same clearance when I had the 44mm Conquest on my 75. It's plenty. You shouldn't have any problems.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:04 PM
bigcountry

Actually with a conquest. I get about 5mm of clearance. But I had to pull this leupold 50mm all the way back to fit me. Thats the reason I only have like 2mm. I might put a dab of marker on my scope an see if its hitting the barrel that way.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:16 PM

bc, I've used a thin layer of clay and that will let you know if it's hitting without any permanent markings on the rifle or scope after you've finished. Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:41 PM

It could be ok but i would suggest a little more clearance than that! Shimming is the last resort fix, i would get a higher set of rings for it myself. vangunsmith
Old 02-15-2005, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

whats on the plate in the background???? Is it those chicken thingy's you fixed last time I was over??? mmmmmmm Im hungry now

p.s. but I know better than to drink from that lil huggie bottle sitting on the table though

Quick Reply: Scope too Close to barrel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.