Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Scope recommendations >

Scope recommendations

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Scope recommendations

Old 10-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scope recommendations

Hello, I'm new here. I getting ready to buy a Remington 700 SPS 30-06 and will be needing a scope for it. I'm not buying a Leopold, so that's out of the question (Way too expensive). I've got my eye on a Nikon Buckmaster Scope but I'm unsure of the size I should get. I'm in South Carolina so long range shooting probably isn't going to happen here. I would say the furthest I would engage a deer here would be 200 yards. I've been told that a 3-9X40 scope isn't enough. But then again, I've been told that this particular scope is perfect. I'm just looking for some suggestions/recommendation since there seems to be a lot of very knowledgeable people in here. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope recommendations

Any quality 3-9x40 mm is plenty good enough for 200 yards. In my opinion, what you should do is buy the best quality that you can afford. If a Nikon "Buck Master" price range is the top dollar you can go, then so be it. Ifdeer hunting up that way is about like it is in SE Alabama, a good deal of your shot opportunities are going to come very late in the day when a "bright" scope is essential. Take a look at places on-line like Bear Basin Outfitters. Might get a better price than local.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I want to buy the scope when I buy the gun at Bass Pro. But they don't have the Buckmaster. They do however have a variety of Burris scopes. I keep getting told that I should buy at least a 4-14 power scope. I like the Fullfield II, Signature Select, and the Black Diamond.

Opinions?
Old 10-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Or the Timberline, or LRS Fullfield
Old 10-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

How's this deal look?

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3415
Old 10-29-2008, 02:35 PM

Thats not a bad deal, but if you like the buckmaster scope, then theopticzone has them. I buy quite a bit from there. They have about the best prices across the board, on the net. I have several of the 4.5-14 x 40 buckmasters and they are great scopes. I also have the 4-16 x 42 and the 5-20 x 44 in the Nikon Monarch line. I have compaired to the Burris Fullfield II and like the Nikon better, but they are close to being 6 of one / half dozen of the other.... I like the smoothness of the Nikon better. The magnification adjustment is easy to turn but not sloppy, and the side focus for the Adj. Obj. is great. If you are not opposed to buying on the net, Jon and Tammi are real nice folks to do business with. I also know that Nikon and Burris both stand behind their products well.

Hope this helps some....

Good luck and God Bless,

MET
Old 10-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the recommendation. That's the input I was looking for. I think I'll go with the Buck Master since Bass Pro will still mount it and boresight it for free even if I don't buy it there.