Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Scope for Slug Gun - Recommendations >

Scope for Slug Gun - Recommendations

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Scope for Slug Gun - Recommendations

Old 08-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Spike

Default Scope for Slug Gun - Recommendations

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I get errors when trying to seach previous posts. I'm buying a H&R 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe and am looking for input. I'm not looking for the best available(unless it comes at a reasonable price) and looking to spend up to or around $150.00. Thank you in advance for your replies......
Old 08-07-2007, 10:54 AM

Default RE: Scope for Slug Gun - Recommendations

I have the same gun with a Nikon ProStaff 2x-7x on it. This scope works very well, with clear optics and together with this gun is very accurate. Also, I shoot the new Hornady SST's out of it.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Nikon "Omega"
Old 08-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Another vote for the Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x 32mm shotgun scope. I use it on a Rem 870 with a 23" rifled barrel mounted on the cantelever scope mount. It is a very nice/accurate scope. I too like the Hornady SST's.

Scope costs around $130.00.

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2320
Old 08-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Burris Fullfield II, is the way i would go..... Slightly over the $150 mark, but equivalent to the Leupold VX III's and your only spending around 180-190. In addition, if you were to choose the Fullfield II, do yourself a favor and choose Ballistic Plex, cause depending upon your load, you can sight each hash in the recticle for specific yardage..............

I think Natchez has them on sale right now!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

ThisH&R 20 gauge Ultra slugis a verybarrel heavygun tolug around the woods, so I opted to mount a short Simmons 4X32 shotgun scope with an extra2 inchesofeye relief andthe Truplex reticle. It's very clear and bright and4Xisa fine all purpose power.
I'd definitely recommend to stick with a shorter, lightershotgun scopeto help keep the hammer clear while stillallowing forlow mounting andless weight. But you'llneed the extra eye relief.The hammer extension just barely touchesthe rear scope cap, and there's about 1/2+ inch of clearancewith the cover off andwithout anyinterference. The low Millet ringscouldbe alittle bit higherdepending on one'spreference.
The shots will group touching justthe same asif it werea much more expensive scope. Ihavethe identicaltwinscope on my Remington Pump slug gun,and I liked it so much thatI bought another.The cost wasin the$60 rangeIIRC.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:22 AM

I think you can get away with a little lower expense scope for the 20 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter. I have the 12 gauge and a friend of mine destroyed his cheaper Tasco scope with his 12 gauge (reticle partially disintegrated). I use a Leupold Vari-X III, 2.5-8 and have had no problems, but this is a lot more than your wanting to spend. By the way Whitetailcrazy, not sure how you decided that a Burris Fullfield II is the equal of a Leupold VX-III? I would put the Fullfield II more up against maybe the VX-II. The VX-III is more inline with the Signature line.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:09 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Follower

By the way Whitetailcrazy, not sure how you decided that a Burris Fullfield II is the equal of a Leupold VX-III?
You think thats wild, you ought to see some of hisother posts.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:46 AM

Nikon Prostaff is generally pretty clear and probably your cheapest bet. Any low class brand will break and you will waste money and time. Nikon Prostaff will hold up just fine.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Not the equal!! Better than the VX II and less costly than the VX III. Think the VX III was more than he is willing to spend!! I do think the FF II is a better scope than the VX II and less costly!

Quick Reply: Scope for Slug Gun - Recommendations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.