Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 recommendations on any scopes? >

recommendations on any scopes?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

recommendations on any scopes?

Old 12-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: recommendations on any scopes?

ORIGINAL: John33871

so i thought i would just get a decent, cheap scope. if iwas out in the field all day every day i think i would save and get a really nice scope,
When it comes to scopes, "decent" and "cheap" don't go together at all!
A Nikon Pro Staff for about 150.00, maybe less, will last at least long enough for you to afford upgrading! If you start with a 75.00 cheapie, you'll probably have to spend the money that you'd be saving for an upgrade, to replace the broken cheapie with another cheapie!
Just about any new gun will shoot accurate enough for hunting, but a cheap scope is junk! When you add up all the costs of hunting, a quality scope is a bargain!
Old 12-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Totally agree with you jagmagman-look up a few posts and you'll see where I said exactly same thing-thanks for the backup.

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

ORIGINAL: John33871

so i thought i would just get a decent, cheap scope. if iwas out in the field all day every day i think i would save and get a really nice scope,
When it comes to scopes, "decent" and "cheap" don't go together at all!
A Nikon Pro Staff for about 150.00, maybe less, will last at least long enough for you to afford upgrading! If you start with a 75.00 cheapie, you'll probably have to spend the money that you'd be saving for an upgrade, to replace the broken cheapie with another cheapie!
Just about any new gun will shoot accurate enough for hunting, but a cheap scope is junk! When you add up all the costs of hunting, a quality scope is a bargain!
Old 12-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stalkingbear, I've learned my lesson! I used to be "thrifty!" But after a couple of cheap scopes, I looked at the money I spent on hunting, including fuel, leases, liciences, gear. Throw in all the scouting and hard work, then top it off with the heart break of lost opportunities! It makes a decent scope look like the best bargain in hunting!
Anyone that thinks they can get quality glass in a cheap scope is setting themselves up for a hard fall!