Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

IL JTF Recommendations

Old 01-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default IL JTF Recommendations

Can anyone think of why they would recommend starting a 4-day 1st gun season on Friday and ending on Monday?

The second season is 4-day (Thursday to Sunday).

How much do you want to bet, if enacted, that someone shoots on Thursday for the first gun season?

I also agree that a 9-day (two weekends) antlerless season will help us not have to go to an earn-a-buck program.

http://www.dnr.state.il.us/pubaffair...ary/joint.html
Old 01-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: IL JTF Recommendations

Why not?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Why not?

As I mentioned, it would NOT be consistent with the current format of 2nd season (Thursday to Sunday).
Some, people will be confused.

I'd hate to be the one who is going onto PUBLIC LAND on Thursday to scout or to place my tree stand underneath the tree I will be climbing in the morning, to get shot by a knucklehead who thinks the season is already open.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:46 AM

Season dates and bag limitschange all the time depending on a variety of factors. That's why the DOW puts out a season and regulations book to educate people on when, where and what to hunt with.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think that it is a good point to want to keep it consistent.But on the other hand, if i thought there were folks out there stupid enough to confuse the seasonsAND shoot someone who is carrying a deer stand then I would probably avoid public land all together

Or you can look on the brightside. If that many folks are confused, then you will have the woods to yourself on Monday.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

certainly better than MT seasons starting on a Sunday!

fri-mon doesn't sound too bad to me, really this only applies to the 1st gun season....not the 2nd, so I assume 2nd would remain thurs-sun, and first just has an extra day tacked onto it at the end of the normal 1st gun season, ie fri-sun, now fri-mon. Not sure how many people are gonna want to hang around another day after 3 days...

most people I know don't hunt that thurs when its thurs-sun.

late season is going from 3days to 9days? hmm. I'd rather have just seen a december firearm season, case closed. All month long, any firearm.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see where your coming from, I can't see why they didn't start it on Thursday like the second season. For what it's worth I really don't give a damn though cause I retired April 08 so I got all the time I need to hunt and don't have to be home any particular time.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

As NVbowjunkie said, season dates change all the time and so do the rules and regulations. It is everyones responsibility to know all of this before going out.

Myself? Going on to public land to scout or whatever..........I'm wearing orange!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think to many people panic whenever ILDR speaks of ANY change. An additional day or two certainly isn't going to confuse anyone. lol ! you need to have more confidence in IL sportsman than that.

I would totally support the additional days of Antlerless-only hunting, however... I don't believe it would matter much. Considering that most folks wimp out and won't go during the cold late season 3 day hunt we have now. So what difference would extending that season do??? How about extending some youth hunting ops as well?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Consistency is better than inconsistency.

I'll add this, I think if they want to have 2, 4-day seasons, they might just as well go to 4, 2-day seasonsover 4weekends. Why do the agencies make it so if you really want to hunt more than a day or 2, you need to take vacation time?!?

I think Ohio's gun season runs from a Monday through the next Saturday. Boy, one day for the guy that can't get out of work, real nice of the DNR.