Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 recommendations on any scopes? >

recommendations on any scopes?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

recommendations on any scopes?

Old 11-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: recommendations on any scopes?

Natchez's has Simmons Whitetail Classics for $58 Have one on ole Knight MK-85 that has been there for years still clear and holding zero.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

John - been hunting and shooting rifles for over 30 years. I don't believe there are any "decent" scopes at that price point ($75.00). I certainly understand the limitations of a budget in this economy and that is a good thing, but a cheap scopewill eventually fail you. If you used it enough itwill either fog or lose the ability to hold zero, guarenteed.

Save youself some trouble - use the iron sights on the gun and save your money until you have at least enough money to buy one of the following scopes from Ebay or a similar on-line retailer. Wal Mart could have the Nikon's on sale toward the season's end in order to clear inventory/

I would rather buy a good used scope than a new cheap one. I can say that with confidence because I have done it twice in the last 3 years and have been completely satisfied.

Variables
Burris Fullfield II 3X9X40
Nikon Prostaff or Buckmaster (I much prefer the Buckmaster) 3X9X40
Bushnell Elite 3200 3X9X40

Fixed Power
Pentax
Nikon Buckmaster
Weaver

Old 11-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: John33871

well im not going to beout every weekend i can only have so much time off from work and i will not beout to often so i thought i would just get a decent, cheap scope. if iwas out in the field all day every day i think i would save and get a really nice scope, but for now a decent, cheap scope will work for me just fine, i just would like to know about some of the brands on the market. i have been looking myself but i would like some opinons
John, I understand the limited time in the woods. This is all the MORE reason to purchase a quality scope. I dont have a ton of time either, thats why when I go shoot at the range or in the woods I am confident that my scope is still shooting where its supposed to. What happens when your $75 scope gos to $hit? With a limited time in the woods, what happens when you miss an animal because your scope wont hold its poi? You would out even more time trying to fix your cheap scope, and there goes your time in the woods.A decent quality scope will last as long as the rifle if taken care of, and you wont have to worry about it failing. $175 to $300 will get you a good scope that will last a lifetime. jmho
Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's no such thing as a good cheap scope. The best thing you can do is buy a fixed 4x scope in something like nikon or weaver line to stay within your budget. A 4x scope will perform well enough to shoot any deer within reasonable limits. If it's too far away to shoot with a 4x scope,you shouldn't be shooting it in 1st place.

ORIGINAL: John33871

well im not going to beout every weekend i can only have so much time off from work and i will not beout to often so i thought i would just get a decent, cheap scope. if iwas out in the field all day every day i think i would save and get a really nice scope, but for now a decent, cheap scope will work for me just fine, i just would like to know about some of the brands on the market. i have been looking myself but i would like some opinons
Old 11-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

The experience you had with leupold was highly irregular and unusual. In all my 27 years of being in the business and out of thedozens of leupolds I've mounted/sighted in/used/and customers,I've only had to send 2 leupolds back to factory. The WHOLE idea of using a quality scope is so that you CAN have confidence in it that it'll perform for the rest of your life and you'll never have to change it out. It's cheaper in long run to stick with quality scopes. AGAIN-your experience with leupold is RARE.

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman
I figure if they do break in a year I can just buy another one and I can buy several for the price of one nice scope. I've actually had less problems out of these than I have my Leupold.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:58 AM

a gun is going to shoot in the same spot every time you pull the trigger(for the most part) dont wast your money buying a cheap scope you could have a 3000 dollar target rifle and put a cheap scope on it and still shoot crappy groups. i would definatly suggest spending at least 150-200 on a scope.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although I can see throwing a "bottom line" scope at a smaller caliber rifle (.243, 6mm), I just can't see doing it to a Remington .270
It appears that your "bottom line" and mine are a little different by a couple hundred dollars.
Those .270's are a pretty heavy, nice shooting gun so I wouldn't waste the money of putting a cheap scope on it. As others have said. Save your money until you are in the $200 range and can get a much more solid scope that will actually last.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

I recommend going to walmart and buying whatever the current $30 3-9x40 scope is, usually between tasco and bushnell. It isn't very good(dare I say disposable), but it should get you through the season, and you will be $45 towards a better scope. Save up about $200 and your options will increase greatly. I have acouple of$30 scopeson $60 22's and they work OK, and I put one on a muzzleloader to get through the season one time when my "bargain" $125 scope died. It isnt so much about the brand, but optics is one area where you get what you pay for.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hossdaniels

I recommend going to walmart and buying whatever the current $30 3-9x40 scope is, usually between tasco and bushnell. It isn't very good(dare I say disposable), but it should get you through the season, and you will be $45 towards a better scope. Save up about $200 and your options will increase greatly. I have acouple of$30 scopeson $60 22's and they work OK, and I put one on a muzzleloader to get through the season one time when my "bargain" $125 scope died. It isnt so much about the brand, but optics is one area where you get what you pay for.
Yup I have one on my muzzle loader and have for right over a year and it's still working great. I had one I bought last year to use on my 30-06 during hunting season since my Leupold was sent in for repair and I wanted to hunt. It worked great also during hunting season but after I got the Leupold back I took the Tasco off and put the Leupold back on. I kept it as a spare for a while but then ended up selling it to a guy I know for $20.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The pentax gameseeker 4x-40mm is 90$ at midway. Good scope,less to go wrong,and well within his budget. That way he can get a good scope right now. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=517836

Quick Reply: recommendations on any scopes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.