Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Leupold/Zeiss Or Bushnell  PLease Help >

Leupold/Zeiss Or Bushnell PLease Help

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Leupold/Zeiss Or Bushnell PLease Help

Old 07-12-2008, 11:31 PM

Default RE: Leupold/Zeiss Or Bushnell PLease Help

As pointed out by others, not quite sure what you are going to use the scope for but you cannot beat a Zeiss conquest. You can say a Schmidt & Bender and Nightforce are better but they are alsoheavier. Check out the Zeiss website and see if you can match the rifle to the reticle. Just looked and the max rapid reticle you can use is the 800 and that is probably pushing it. IMO, it is really hard to beat the Zeiss scopes. Granted they are expensive but they are worth it. I would not go past 14X as high and you might consider one with a smaller high power. 7mm are fine rifles but not long distance (I have a 7mm weatherby).
Old 07-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess if your in need of a free Trail Cam you could purchase a Bushnell.
I looked througha 2.5x16 x42 in the Bushnell6500 today.
They wanted something like $855 -$ 900 (taxes not incl.)bucks for it.
I looked threw it for a couple of moments outside around noon time.It is a nice scope,has all the features I like
in a scope that is greater than a 12 power,but some of the 4200's models have some of the same features( minus the 30mm tube,6.5 power range) for a couple hundred less.
The only real advantage the 30mm tube will give you is more moa clicks.As far as being stonger and brighter, thats up for debate.It maybe a little stronger but one would have to do some rigourous testing to find it much more brighter if it is at all.

And as far as the 6.5 range goes it has its advantages
nodoubt, it great for shooting at short, practical and longrange.I love the side focus, and the one piece tube and the fact its all combined tough rugged pkg.
I don't think the Bushnell 6500 is an over priced or underpriced, optic, I think its priced accordingly for what they have to offer for the scope.
I won't be the least bit surprised if its this years editors choice in alot of scope reviews this year.
BUT HONESTLY I DON'T THINK THIS 6500 MODEL WILL BE A
SUCCESSWHERE SALES ARE CONCERNED.
In fact I wouldn't be surprised if this line is dropped within 2 years.

Its just that Zeiss is at that price range as well.Zeiss is known to make a far superior optic that stand the test of time.AndZeiss backs it up with one of the best warranties in the industry.And Zeiss is gonna take awaymost of the sales.

Personally, I think, this Bushnell warranty has got to get better if they want a place for this model in this price range.
In fact I Feel the warranty on their entire ELITE line of optics has to improve significantly.

W hen I was looking around,on the next counter next to this Bushnell,they had a Swaro 3-9x42 for a couple hundred more (APPROX $1055.00)
Which hands down is known to make better scope when compared to a Bushnell.Which could influence the 6500 sales
at this price.

They also had their 4200 and 3200 series on for a few hundred dollars less, another shelf and in this price range was the Nikons which will reflect on the 6500 sales as well.

This 6500 series model, is gonna be a tough one for Bushnell to sell,(they probably know this already, which is why they are offering free this and that)becausethey arecompeting in the exact same price range as a Ziess and several hundreds more than Nikon Monarch and the 4200 and 3200.And even though the Bushnell has proven to be better than theLeupolds in the last few years, competing with the Ziessat this price point is a whole other story.

All Bushnell really needed to do was offer a TDS or equiv retical on their 4200 and some of 3200 model lines.
Anyways, its up to you, but I'd stay away from this Bushnell 6500 model not because its bad, but because its not a Zeiss
at this price.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:21 AM

I agree with you completely. When I saw the price tag on the 6500s I tought they are idiots for trying to sell against Zeiss. Just will not happen very realistically and that is a fact. The clarity of the Zeiss is hands down better. Makes sense to me also to stick with the inch tube as well. Maybe if you are shooting astronomical distances you need special scopes but not for hunting.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Without a doubt a 3x9x40 conquest.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:56 PM

By all means go with the Zeiss if the price is not too high. Of your choices, I would rank them as Zeiss, then Leupold then Bushnell. Zeiss for its general optics, Leupold because it is an Industry standard (numerous companies will modify the Leupold for long distance -- few will modify other scopes), Bushnell is ok and I have 5 of them BUT, it is not in the league of either Zeiss or Leupold. Scopes have been rated. Zeiss and Swarovski lead the conventional 1 inch scopes but the swaros are extremely expensive and you can buy Nightforce and Schmidt & Bender for the same money so Zeiss would be my top choice for you. In reality, you have to decide what you want for the money. If you are a plunker, go with the Bushnell, if you are a serious hunter who could hunt in dim light, go with the Zeiss, if you want a resonable compromise, go with the Leupold (or a Nikon). I have them all and use them all.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Growing up poor I used to have crappy scopes. Older and wiser now, I bought a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 and I will ALWAYS buy Zeiss from now on for my rifles. There is nothing else quite as bright in any of the scopes I've looked through.

I did buy a Bushnell Elite 3200 for my wife's rifle and it's pretty nice. Haven't really played with it much though so I can't say for sure about it yet.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:07 PM

There is nothing as bright as a Zeiss unless you have more money thencommon sense.You can argue for the S&B etc, butthey are ridiculous in price and 30 mm scopes/ The Bushnell 3200 scopes are ok but not for dim lght which Zeiss handlesquite well. We are in agreement for sure.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gentlemen, may I chime in again? Zeiss Conquests are great scopes, but they are not at the top of the optical heap. To my way of thinking, the absolute best are Zeiss Victory Diavari, Swaro Z6, and S&B. I'd then put Kahles C series and Swaro American. Now, I'd drop in Zeiss Conquests, Bushy Elites, Trijicon, Upper Leupys and maybe Meopta. My point is that you just have to decide what's best for YOUR application, whats most important to YOU and what YOU want to spend. Personally, I'll save for as long as necessary if I want a top end model. My next addition will likely be the new S&B 1" 2FP scope. I chose it over the Diavari due to size (1" vs. 30mm) and reticle position (2FP vs. 1FP). Cost wasn't the determining factor as they are both very pricey. Some folks just prefer to spend less or achieve the highest value they can. That's what makes this game so fun. To each his own.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:30 AM

I tthought I made the point that for the money, the conquest is the best scope. A Diavari as i recall is 3000 or so and the S&B is also ridiculous in price , is a 30 mm tube and is heavy as is the Nightforce. If I were facing this dilemma of choosing a scope without money being significant, my first thought would be not the scope but the rifle. What would I put such a scope on? A 30-06? Woud have to be an idiot to do that. Perhaps a Sako Lapua in 338 caliber or a Weatherby 338-378 and both would have to look worth it. As to the Swaro, the last rankings I saw have the Swaro and Zeiss tied in quality. Now if I were really into scopes, I would start with a Leupold and send it to a first rate shop like premier reticles and have it rebuilt to my specs. Course then this would be a 5000 scope. Forme the Zeiss conquest is the best scope without having to get a bank loan:-). Maybe if I were shooting at mile targets, I would think differently but with my rifles and deires and the fact that I either hunt or shoot at targets perhaps 300-500 yds away, The Zeiss is for me.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Zeiss seems to be of better quality, but from 1st hand experience with Leupolds customer service department i cant stray away from Leupold too easily. The VX III is an awesome scope and Leupold replaces things even if you screw up. They are truly first rate.

Quick Reply: Leupold/Zeiss Or Bushnell PLease Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.