Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 recommendations on any scopes? >

recommendations on any scopes?

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

recommendations on any scopes?

Old 10-15-2008, 07:14 PM

Default recommendations on any scopes?

any recommendations on some scopes would be helpful, it will be going on a remington 700 .270. i was looking at simmons, because they seem to be decent for the price. my budget is not that big so something under like $75 would be great. i will to take any advice thanks!
Old 10-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: recommendations on any scopes?

Save your money, IMHO, and buy a quality scope. $75 won't get you much worth helping.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:06 PM

well im not going to beout every weekend i can only have so much time off from work and i will not beout to often so i thought i would just get a decent, cheap scope. if iwas out in the field all day every day i think i would save and get a really nice scope, but for now a decent, cheap scope will work for me just fine, i just would like to know about some of the brands on the market. i have been looking myself but i would like some opinons
Old 10-15-2008, 08:52 PM

It depends on your limit... if it is 75.00 flat, there is not a lot out there to choose from. I would look at stuff like the Bushnell Dusk and Dawn , Nikon Prostaff in the 100.00 range. You may also look at some Vortex scopes. I recently won a Vortex Crossfire 3-9 x 40 and while it is not up to the standards of my Nikon Monarchs, or Buckmasters or Burris's ... or any of my other higher $$ scopes , it is still very good quality and very clear.... It is sitting on the shelf in my gun cabinet, along with a few other scopes, because all my guns are scoped right now ( guess I need to buy some more guns ) , but I would not hesitate to mount the Vortex.I believe it is just under 100.00. On those in the 75.00 range, it would depend of the model... as far as brand goes.... Tasco, Simmons, or cheap bushnells are all about the same... six of one / half dozen of the other. You might get a good one in any of them, but there is an equal chance that you might get a lemon in any of them , also.

Find one that looks good to you , and try it. It is a chance you will have to take, but if your budget is limited .... then you have no other choice.

Check out www.theopticzone.com .... They have great service and are most of the time the lowest on the net.

Banner 3-9x40, Multi-X, IER, Matte

$75.00

Trophy 3-9x40, Multi-X, Matte

$89.00

Master ProSport 4-12x40 AO, Truplex, Matte

$89.00

ProStaff 3-9x40, BDC, Matte

$126.00

[/align]
[/align][/align][/align] [/align]Vortex VORTEX Crossfire 3-9x40 Rifle Scope, V-Plex Reticle (CRF-01P)
Item #: VOR-CRF-01P - Vortex Crossfire 3-9x40 Rifle Scope, V-Plex Reticle is ideal for Big Game, Muzleloader, and Slug hunting. With bright, 90 percent light transmission and a fast-focus eyepiece for quick target acquisition, Crossfire Rifle Scope makes quick work of dialing in for the shot that counts.
You can make big things happen when you take aim behind the VORTEX Crossfire 3-9x40 Rifle Scope, V-Plex Reticle (CRF-01P). Built to exceed the performance standards of similarly-priced riflescopes, the Crossfire riflescope is standing by – ready and more than willing to assist you with filling that tag. It is ideal for Big Game, Muzleloader, and Slug hunting.

V-Plex Reticle is the single best all-purpose hunting reticle intended for a wide variety of hunting applications.

With bright, 90 percent light transmission and a fast-focus eyepiece for quick target acquisition, the Crossfire 3-9x40 V-Plex Reticle Rifle Scope makes quick work of dialing in for the shot that counts. Waterproofing and fog proofing features neutral-pressure nitrogen purging for optics that will withstand the elements at any elevation. Fully multi-coated optics deliver edge-to-edge clarity for the details you need when taking aim. [/align]
[more info...] [/align]
[/align]
Availability: In Stock [/align]In-Store: $130.00 [/align][/align]Our Price: $99.99 [/align][/align]
[/align]

God Bless

MET [/align][/align][/align][/align]
Old 10-16-2008, 01:05 PM

thanks for the ideas!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

I would get nothing less then the Nikon Pro-Staff

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3969
Old 10-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to be honest here and say I've used two Tasco bucksights 3x9x40mm's and infact still have one on my Muzzle loader. Have for around a year now. The other I used on my rifle for about 2 months while my Leupold had to be sent in for repair after around 6months of use. I then sold it to a friend when I got my Leupold back. I've been happy with both and the best thing is they were only $30 at Wal-Mart. Are they as nice as some others no but they are worth $30 to me and seem decent. I figure if they do break in a year I can just buy another one and I can buy several for the price of one nice scope. I've actually had less problems out of these than I have my Leupold. Plus they seem to hold zero just find and work great. If it was me I'd take a look at them.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just my $.02. If you can manage open sights for your hunting needs this season, try it. Put the $75 you have in the "Pig" and start saving for next season. See if you can get to about $150-$200. If you can, you'll get into the area of fairly well made scopes that are pretty decent optically as well. If you have to have a scope now, the best luck I have had with an economy priced scopes has been the Bushnell brand.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

You might want to take a look at this: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/pentax.pl?page=gameseeker4x32

$79 is one of the lowest prices I've seen for fully multicoated lenses. 4x will do a lot more than people give it credit for. I've not taken a gander through a Pentax, but they don't seem to garner nearly as much scorn as do the Barska, BSA, Tasco, & Simmons brands.

It would really be worth your while to call Doug @ Cameraland, & get some ideas from him. He knows his stuff, he stands BEHIND his stuff, and his prices are about the lowest you'll find on his stuff.

Good Luck,

FC
Old 11-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

don't insult your gun with a cheap POS, save up some more cash, go mow some lawns or something and pick up something decent. I don't have a heap of time to hunt either, but when it comes to optics no cheapys here. But that's just me.

Quick Reply: recommendations on any scopes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.