Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Nikon Prostaff 2x7x32,  see through mounts >

Nikon Prostaff 2x7x32, see through mounts

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Nikon Prostaff 2x7x32, see through mounts

Old 11-21-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Nikon Prostaff 2x7x32, see through mounts

I have a new T/C Omega .50 cal. Does anyone have any advice on the Nikon prostaff 2x7x32 for this gun? Seems like decent quality for the money. Also looking for advice from anyone with knowleadge on see through mounts. What are the positives & negatives of see through mounts?

Thanks,

Eric

Old 11-22-2007, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Nikon Prostaff 2x7x32, see through mounts

I just bought a Prostaff and put on my Omega.
Have not had a chance to sight in yet but am impressed with its optics so far.
I would suggest using quick release mounts as they make cleaning the gun easier without loss of accuracy.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

SLOOC1 - Please, forget the see-through mounts.

I strongly believe in either using the scope or iron sights, you decide, but not both. If you don't trust the scope then get a better scope or use iron sights. I don't profess to be an expert, but with 25+ years of deer hunting experience I have never had a moment that I felt that I needed see-through sights. I've shot deer as close as 10 feet when woods hunting and never felt that 3X was too much for that distance.

If you are worried about using the scope on rainy days then invest in some Butler Creek flip-up covers or bikini covers. I hunted all day in the rain yesterday using my .243 with the Bushnell Elite 3200 and never had a problem. The propriatary rainguard coatings allowed a good sight picture even when the glass had water on it.

The problem I have is that the see through mounts places the scope too high for proper head position in order to see the sight picture. I believe in getting your head down on the stock and looking right down top of thebarrel. I mount my scopes as low as I can in order to accomplish this.

The Nikon Pro Staff is a great value. So far I have not heard anyone complain about them holding zero. I have a Buckmaster 3X9 on my Omega and love it.

Good luck

Mouthcaller

Old 12-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x 32mm and I really like ii. It's compact,with good optics.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Having had see-through mounts, I can't think of any positives. I knew nothing of rifles, & said nothing when they mounted my VXII in see throughs. What's wrong with 'em?

1) They jack your head up off the stock - poor cheek weld.
2) They're weak as hell. You can twist the scope from side-to-side without too much effort.
3) They made it a b!tch to get my rig into the saddle scabbard on my elk hunt.

With a 2-7, you'll have plenty o' FOV: no need for iron sights.

FC