Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Scope mounting Question >

Scope mounting Question

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Scope mounting Question

Old 10-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Spike

Default Scope mounting Question

This may be in the wrong forum but I thought Id start here. My last couple scopes Ive tried to mount myself. My problem is that when I tighten the screws for the rings down, it makes the crosshairs of the scope no longer level. Ive tried compensating before tightening the screws but its always a guessing game as to how much. Is there a trick to locking down the ring screws and keeping the scope in place/level?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope mounting Question

All I do is go slowly and tighten the screws opposite and front / rear alternating. Avoid overtightening so as to avoid tube damage.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

I put my rifles in the gun cleaning cradle making sure it is level. I use a small level on the flat part of the action or any other flat surface. Then I put the scope in place and put my level on top of the scope turret. I tighten the screw very slowly maybe 1/32 of a turn at a time making sure the scope and the rifle stay level.

For the level, I bought a small one at Home Depot for $3. It is the thickness of a carpenter pen and fits on the rifle action even if the scope is on.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always alternate tightening the screws to eliminate this problem making sure the space between the rings are equal. It’s a slow and tedious job but works well for me...
Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: savage3006

I put my rifles in the gun cleaning cradle making sure it is level. I use a small level on the flat part of the action or any other flat surface. Then I put the scope in place and put my level on top of the scope turret. I tighten the screw very slowly maybe 1/32 of a turn at a time making sure the scope and the rifle stay level.

For the level, I bought a small one at Home Depot for $3. It is the thickness of a carpenter pen and fits on the rifle action even if the scope is on.
I watched them put my zeiss on my omega and they used a cross hair level on,I looked through it and it was lined up perfect........Ted