Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Question about mounting a red dot scope. >

Question about mounting a red dot scope.

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Question about mounting a red dot scope.

Old 02-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default Question about mounting a red dot scope.

I just bought a BSA red dot scope today. It has the weaver style mounting system and I need a mounting rail that will fit my 835. I bought one that was made by Leupold and it didn't work. The last 2 screw holes lined up good, but the front 2 did not. Also the screws the are on the scope didn't fit the rail properly on the front. Can someone tell me what kind of rail I need to get to mount this scope to my gun? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:15 PM

Default RE: Question about mounting a red dot scope.

Gobbling Buck,
try some gunshops in your area.
weaver makes a one piece base for for that mossberg 835.
with your reddot bsa, i have one and i got a weaver one piece base for my redot. but the slots on the base don't line up for the bsa reddot scope. so i had to file a notch in it to make the scope fit.since the base is cheap, you can make it fit. i havn't found a scope base for that reddot scope yet. i just mounted mine last week and ready to sight it in.
good luck
Old 02-23-2004, 04:11 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks. When I get home this morning, I think I'll start modifying it. The base was only $7.00, so if I mess it up maybe it won't break me.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:55 PM

If I was you I'd be hoping the sight will hold up to 3 1/2" magnum recoil. I've heard some horror stories of BSA red dots literally being blasted apart by shotgun recoil [:-]. Good luck.

Tyler
Old 02-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the input PA. I do have some reservations about the durability of the scope, but I only paid $29.00 new at walmart. I've never had any type of scope on a shotgun before and thought for the price, it was worth a try.

gobblerspur, I followed your advice and I now have the scope mounted to the gun. I'm going to try and take it out this weekend and get it set. Thanks again.