Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Am I weird?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Am I weird?

I'm wondering if there is very many people that like the old steel tube weavers (latter 1s with microtrac),are they a sleeper,or if I'm just weird and like outdated stuff? Every weaver steel tube with the microtrac that I see,I try to grab up. It seems to me that they are just bout bombproof as far as adjustment consistancy,ability to maintain zero,and general toughness. Especially the fixed power models. So-am I wrong or are they still as good as purty near anything being made today within their price range?
Old 10-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Am I weird?

Take one of the Weavers and test the glass quality with a Zeiss Diavari, Kahles, Swarovski or other upper quality scopes in the same power range and I think you will see. Now if the price of scopes being made today is the consideration you need to remember that Meade bought out Weaver, Redfield and I think Simmons and the Weaver is the lower end optics they offer and there isn't much competition in that price range..
Old 10-07-2007, 08:10 AM

I understand about using old stuff. I hunt will wool and not fleece. I use a 100 year old + gun. I sleep with hudson bay blankets rather that nylon sleeping bags. But I believe that you sell yourself short by using outdated optics. Get the best you can afford. Like Timber cruiser said, if you compare your old microtracs to even a cheap modern scope \you will see the difference. Newer optics of all price ranges just outperform older glass. If you would take the time to check out the Weaver Grand Salm series scope, you will see a lower mid-priced scope that is brighter, clearer, has better and more forgiving eye relief, and is much tougher. You can pick up a new on in standard magnification ranges from 250-300 bucks. There is no comparison.
Of course if you like using old gear, and it works for you, then enjoy yourself. My main binocs are Millitary Russian binocs from the early 80's. My hunting buddys all make fun of me with thier Swarovski glasses.They all use huge 6-24 scopes with huge objectives. They keep them wound up to the maximum. They use the newest flatest shooting calibers. My old Mauser swede is still doing well. and we all fill our tages.
BTW some great lower priced scopes besides the Weaver Grand Slam are the SIghtron S2, Cabela's Alaskan Guide, Burris Full Field, and Bushnell 3200 and 4200. Most are under 400 and some are around the 200-250 mark
okcmco
Old 10-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do have a BUNCH of newer leupolds,burris,zeiss,etc. and all perform excellent. What I'm talking about is for a sleeper in used scope value per dollar-they are second to none. By the way,only redfield rate "higher" than the new weaver scopes.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:11 PM

OK stalking bear. I get you. A relatively inexpensive scope that most people might look down upon. But it turns out to be surprisingly good and rugged. I like that too. I hunt with some guys that ONLY use Swarovski scopes and binos. They use hi dollar bolt rifles (A Bolt, Kimber). I show up with my savage 110 and my millitary Russian 7x30 army binos (prro prism even!). They all kinda snickered at my russian glass but they admitted that, although heavey and clunky, they provided surprisingly good image quality. When I told them they cost 95 bucks (Literally about 7% of the cost of thiers) they got kind of quiet. So yes I understand. Maybe I will get one of those old weavers and stick it on a Swedish Mauser that I am working on. Old gun, old scope, old calibre, good combo.
Good luck this season.
okcmco
Oh, and my savage shoots as well as thier hi dollar guns and does so with regular Remington Corelokt ammo.