Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Bushnel Range finder >

Bushnel Range finder

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Bushnel Range finder

Old 08-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bushnel Range finder

Hey people need a little advice. A neighborhood sporting store is selling Bushnelyardage pro scout range findersfor $220 and the sport 450 for $160.Need a little imput I don't know a thing about range finders. Here's a stupid question. Whats the differance between reflective on non reflective besides 400 yards lol thanx
Old 08-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bushnel Range finder

In lay or real worldterms non reflective target is the max you can range game animals. Bushnell, nikon and similar graded optics have a larger beam at distance and this cone effect cause them to either not read the target or misread by picking up an object before or after the actual target. I had a bushnell scout pro and400 was really stretching its max on game. Depending on your needs this may or may not be a concern. Personally I bought a Lieca and haven't looked back since. Relieble, better optics, further ranging abilityand Red LED is the only way to fly IMHO. I have ranged game to +700 yardswith my 900 Scan Lieca Rangemaster, further then I'd ever shoot but nice to know it works as advertised.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Spike

Most rangefinders work very well out to 400 yds. Depending upon your use bowhunting or gun hunting, the type of rangefinder you will need. The smaller the target the less reflectivity it will have. Alsodepending upon the distance of the target . Most times you will have to scan your target to find the best spot for the laser to reflect back to the rangefinder. The more surface area of the target the better reflectivity it will have. Not all brands are the same., some picking up the target quicker than others. I myself have used the bushnell yardage pro 400 for some time now. Nikon makes a real nice unit the 440 series. It is small and compact . Depending upon what you want to spend. You should be able to pick one up for around $200.00 . like I said depending on what you will be using it for.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:07 PM
bigcountry

I worried alot about range of rangefinders especially the spec for small animals like deer. So I went with the Legend 2 or 3 years ago. I also wanted waterproof. I come to find out on a moose hunt, that it may be capable of ranging a moose at 500 yards, but holding on that moose to get a shot is a different story. When you need a range finder the most like moose hunting in extremely wet weather,I suggest getting waterproof.

I recently tried out the leupold, and was not impressed at all. My brother got it, and its very blurry at 400 yards or so.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Expect a rangefinder to range game animals at 1/2 to 2/3 it's rating depending on the animals size.In other words expect a unit rated at 400 yards to range a deer to about 250 yards under most conditions.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanx for the imput guys, gives me somthing to chew on

P.S
I now know the differance between reflective an non reflective