Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Range finder

Old 09-16-2008, 06:45 PM

Default Range finder

OK, just curious about the Arc rangefinder. Do yall use one?
I understand the need for a rangefinder but is there enough change in the distance between an elevated position and one on the ground? Meaning it would seem that the distance would be the same if you shoot a point on the ground or if your elevated,,,,distance is distance? Or am I being too simpleminded?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Range finder

I use the Leupold RX-II and I like the feature... Is it absolutley neccessary? Probably not, but I like te peace of mind.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:52 PM

Yeah I understand that, just curious if the distance is different or if it is hype.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

These are a huge gimmick IMO. Not needed.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:06 PM

I agree with range finders in general but it just seems that distance is distance whether its elevated or on the ground. Thanks,
Old 09-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I decided to get the Archers Choice one that has Nikons version of ARC. I wanted a rangefinder and i had the money so i thought what the heck and i got it. And let me tell you it is not needed. I hunt from 15 to 20 ft up and the difference from the ground and the stand is about 1/2 a yard. So it's a gimmick, don't buy.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah those ARC range finders are such a load of crap.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:38 AM

When ranging trees as landmarks, just hit them at the same height you are sitting...
Old 09-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

If your bowhunting, its not needed at all. I have the Leupold RXII and you can turn it off and on, going from just point in click to the mode where it tells you the angle. Its the same in the bow woods!! It only comes into play if your taking a 400 yard shot on top of a mountain shooting down into a valley at a target. Anything close or with minor height adjustment its not worth it. A basic range finder will do fine. If you hunt in the rockies and seirra nevadas and take long shots up and down mtns, then it might be worth it.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have noticed on some of my stands that there is up to 5 yards difference in line of sight vs. horizontal. These stands are the ones on a hillside where I am up 15 feets and shooting down hill I get readings of 42 yards aim as if 37 or something simlar to that. Probably won't matter much but I have practiced and it does make a difference when I practice at some of the 50+ yards. I don't shoot deer that far but I do practice that far.

Quick Reply: Range finder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.