Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I need a range finder! >

I need a range finder!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I need a range finder!

Old 10-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default I need a range finder!

I sent an arrow sailing over the back of a doe this AM. I'm glad it was a clean miss. I stopped on my way to one of my normal stands because I heard acorns falling. I decided to set up in the base of a thick cedar. About 8:30, 4 does approached the oak. On all of my stand sights I have paced and marked distances. Not here as it was spontanious thiis AM. I thought she was at about 30yds so I drew, set my 30yd pin behind her shoulder and let fly. Right over her back by inches. That was my first ever shot at a deer and I won't take one like it again if I'm not at least reasonably sure of range. All 4 does ran about 40 yds. and started blowing. I don't think they ever saw or smelled me. After they finally left(20 min.), I waited another 1/2 hr came out and paced off some distance markers. Should I try again tomorrow AM or wait a little longer? BTW I found my arrow, no blood, just so you know.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I need a range finder!

They certainly come in handy.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:22 PM

if the deer are used to activity you should be just fine going back tomorrow. If not i think that you will stil lbe okay if they didnt see or smell you.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

rangefinders can definately be helpful.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Keep trying. Measure off some spots with a tape measure and mark them.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:52 PM

I'm in the process of using some type of tape around bow sight with black marks for different yardages. If you know your average deer is 18 inches from backbone to brist then you should be able to tune/measure your ink marks on tape in your backyard. Just work with a piece of cardboard that is exactly 18 inches tall. Mark top and bottom locations on tape for different yardages. No need for an expensive rangefinder and no need to dig in your pocket and try and find it during a critical time right before the shot. Make sense?