Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Leupold Illuminated Reticle? >

Leupold Illuminated Reticle?

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Leupold Illuminated Reticle?

Old 08-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Leupold Illuminated Reticle?

I am looking for a new rifle scope. I like the plain 40mm leupold VXIII, but my gunsmith said that the VXIII with the Illuminated reticle is the scope that he would get. I like the fact that you can sit a little bit later and still see the crosshairs.

Does anyone have any reviews on the these scopes? The concept sounds pretty decent. I would just worry about the battery wearing out or something going wrong.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leupold Illuminated Reticle?

Personally it would be something I'd stay away from..
I use Leupold scopes with very very fine crosshairs and I have no problem placing them on targetin all hunting in legal hunting hours, but everones eyes are different, so if the illumination helps you see better in dawn and dusk by all means get them..
But at 98% light transmission, which is what Leupold claims to advertise, if you can't see the crosshairs.. its too early or too late to be hunting legally...
So thinking that you may be able to stay out later with this illuminated reticle, may just get you into a heap load of trouble....

Old 08-07-2007, 09:30 AM

Have you seen a Sightmark 3-9x40 or Sightmark 8.5-25x50 Illuminated Reticle Tactical series? They are very comparable to other high bread optics, but about 1/3 the price.

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Sightmark-3-9x40-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-with-Duplex-Reticle.html?Attribs=194

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Sightmark-8-25x50-Tactical-Scope-with-Illuminated-Mil-Dot-Reticle.html?Attribs=194
Old 08-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Fork Horn

Does anyone have any reviews on the these scopes? The concept sounds pretty decent. I would just worry about the battery wearing out or something going wrong.
I have a VX-III 3,5-10x50 with german 4 recticle and the illuminated dot. It's a great scope in every lowlight condition. I have had mine for quit a few years now and the battery is still working. I only use the illumination in low light not during daytime. I do a lot of hoghuntingat nights and it is working ok.