Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Illuminated-reticle scopes... worth the $$ ? >

Illuminated-reticle scopes... worth the $$ ?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Illuminated-reticle scopes... worth the $$ ?

Old 12-09-2004, 02:13 PM

Default Illuminated-reticle scopes... worth the $$ ?

I'm looking at a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x 50mm LR scope ($630)... but I'm considering spending the extra $120 bucks for the illuminated-reticle version. Anyone have any positive/negative experiences with it?
I've heard that Leupold has changed their illumination design a couple times recently, and that it might be another year or two until they really get it dialed-in, so I'm a little skeptical...

- aaron
Old 12-09-2004, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Illuminated-reticle scopes... worth the $$ ?

I have not used one so this is just my opinion....

It's just something else to go wrong.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a leupold VariX III and I can easily see deer and my crosshairs well past legal shooting light with it. What more could you want or need?
Old 12-09-2004, 04:49 PM

I had a scope with an illuminated reticle. It looked cool, but I never really used it in the field. I would think that if you need your reticle to light up it is too dark to be shooting any way? It might help if you have really bad eyes though.

If it were me, I wouldn't spend the extra money on it. The scope I wanted had it already I didn't really purchase the scope for that feature.

Or you could get one of the bushnell fire fly scopes, some like those pretty well.

Paul
Old 12-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The trouble with the firefly is the limited time of illumination . might work in a stand situation but not still hunting .
Old 12-10-2004, 07:05 AM

I'm looking at a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x 50mm LR scope ($630)... but I'm considering spending the extra $120 bucks
For $750 , I could buy two new shotguns and top them both with good scopes. Then have money left over for some accesories !
Old 12-10-2004, 07:05 AM

I know it's not a feature anyone can't live without, but I think it would come in handy sometimes... I often find myself sighting-in or target shooting at my home-range right up until dusk, at which time it gets pretty hard to see the reticle on a dark background. (Also, if it does crap-out, you're still left with a standard duplex reticle - it's not like the scope won't work at all)
So I guess my real question is - for those that have used the Leupold illuminated versions - has Leupold got all the bugs out yet? Does it work the way it should?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:36 AM

I use an IR scope. I have the illuminated dot recticle and really enjoy it. Worst case if the IR stops working the standard cross hairs are still there. I do not like the IR's that light the entire recticle, too bright. Bad side, batteries die and glow in the dark (firefly) is not reliable. If you have the money I would say go for it.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some people like them and some don't. Before I spent 750 dollars on a Leupold I would sure look at a Zeiss conquest of the same power and objective diameter. I can tell you it will be all you need to look through to make up your mind.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the info - I decided to go with the illuminated-reticle model. I'll let you know how it works out...

As for the Zeiss Conquest: I did check it out and was very impressed with it. But it's no Leupold VX-III.

Quick Reply: Illuminated-reticle scopes... worth the $$ ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.