Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Shotgun Scopes >

Shotgun Scopes

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Shotgun Scopes

Old 03-30-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Shotgun Scopes

Hey all, i will be purchasing a rifled slug barrel for my Pardner Single Shot here shortly. Well i was wondering what kind of scope to get for it after i get the barrel since it is drilled for a scope mount. Something in the $75-$115 range preferably.What do you guys use/recommend?
Old 03-31-2007, 06:36 AM

Default RE: Shotgun Scopes

I suggest spending more money.

For that amount of money though I would suggest a Bushnell Trophy in 1.75-4 or 5 power. I will add though I have had two of these scopes, one worked great, the other was on a H&R Ultra slug. Basically what you are going to do. The one on the Ultra failed. After two seasons it would not hold zero anymore. Probably less than 50 hard recoiling shells did it in. I also let a young man shoot it and he smacked himself in the head with the scope from the recoil. Maybe that did it in, I don't know. Maybe I just got a bad one. I had my other one for a few years and sold it to a buddy, he still has it and it works fine. I know others that have them as well with no problems.

Like I said though, I would suggest you spend closer to $200 on a better scope with a better warranty. You will be happier in the end I promise. If I have to do it again I will get a Cabela's scope ( I live near one) or a Leupold. Simply for the reputation and outstanding customer service they both offer.

My opinions and nothing more.

Paul
Old 03-31-2007, 09:33 AM

I took some of your advice and looked at some of the cabelas scopes. I found this one for $89.99 and so far every review i've seen has said this is a wonderful scope, much better than the price tag.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...amp;hasJS=true
Old 03-31-2007, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

This would be my choice!

Leupold Rifleman Shotgun Scope
$179.99 ~ $199.99
Old 03-31-2007, 10:24 AM

Or for $199 you could get the Alaskan Guide series in the same power or a Leupold VXI. All three would have slightly better optics than the $90 pine ridge model. The Pine ridge models are about like a mid priced simmons or bushnell. Actually from the looks of them and the reticle choices my guess would be they are made by Simmons.

Still not bad scopes though, I have never owned a pine ridge model but I have looked at them and have shot guns that had them. I do own an Alaskan guide model scope though and am very happy with it. It is a high power varmint model though.

And with buying it from Cabela's the warranty will be very good if anything were to happen. My advice would be if someone wanted a cheap scope like a BSA or or something would be to get it from Cabela's because they will back it up with no hassles regardless of who made it. That being said BSA has really good customer service, I know a few that have had to use it. I would prefer not to use it though.

Paul

Old 04-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

I have leupold 1-4 shotgun scope on my H&R ultra slugger and its served me well the last 5 years.Clear as a bell and i havent moved the scope since i sighted it in after i bought it.Buy the best scope you can afford so you dont regret it in the long run.Like the old saying goes you get what you pay for, especially in a scope.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just put a Nikon 2x7x32 shotgun scope on my Remington 1187. For $125 I don't think you'll get a better scope in your price range.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:00 AM

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

I just put a Nikon 2x7x32 shotgun scope on my Remington 1187. For $125 I don't think you'll get a better scope in your price range.
Ditto, as the Nikon Prostaff has a lifetime warranty as well.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Another vote for the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32. I have one on my Rem 870 rifled barrel with cantelever scope mount. I'm very happy with the the whole set-up (scope and rifle).
Old 04-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

I would recommend to you a leupold 1-4X or, mounted on my 870WG slugger with a rifled cantilever bbl, i have an aimpoint 9000SC. since practically all of my shots @ deer are 100yds or under, i dont see the need for any magnification. Also there is no faster sight out there than an aimpoint(or similar like eotech) PERIOD! taking split second shots is a snap since you can aim with both eyes open. try one and you will neverlook back!