Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > IBO > Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
 Question About Classes and Equipment >

Question About Classes and Equipment

Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Question About Classes and Equipment

Old 03-12-2004, 08:35 AM

Default Question About Classes and Equipment

I would like to shoot in some IBO events this year for the first time. I shoot a Mathews Icon, 9" Sure Loc sight with a 4 power lense, a 24" Doinker stabilizer, and CLX selects with 1.78" Easton vanes. My question is this, with my setup, will I have to change anything to shoot IBO, and what class would I shoot in? Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:47 AM

Default RE: Question About Classes and Equipment

first off, welcome to the ibo.

not knowing your draw weight and arrow weight, you need 5 grains per pound, if you shoot a 63 lb bow, you need a minimum of 315 grains of total arrow weight, or, you can shoot 280 fps without adhereing to the 5 grain rule. 280 is the max there. if you shoot the 5 grain option, there is no speed limit. sounds like you will be shooting in the open classes, or pro or semi pro....good luck and welcome aboard.

you also cannot have binoculars over 8X.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:21 AM

Is my vane legal? A buddy of mine was telling me that I had to have 9" of vanes or feathers per arrow.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

There is a specified vane length in hunter class only. In the open classes (mbo which is probably where you would be with the movable sight) there is no restriction.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:14 PM

Please forgive me if I am being a pest, but I have a couple more ?'s.
Can I pre-register for the events, I would like to shoot in the national triple crown events and was wonderring if you can register ahead of time for them. Also, I have shot in both of the ASA shoots this year and I am wonderring if the format is similar, 40 targets over 2 days, or if you shoot your set all in the same day. I would to start making travel arrangements, and would like as much info ahead of time as I could get.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:34 PM

WIshooter,
WELCOME FIRST OF ALL, AND YOU DO NOT NEED TO PREREGISTER, ACTUALLY, I DONT EVEN THINK THEY DO THAT ON THE TRIPLE CROWNS BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO FOR THE INDOOR (TOO LATE NOW), AND WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP AFTER QUALIFYING FOR IT. ALSO, YOU CAN BECOME A MEMBER AT THE SHOOT (YOU HAVE TO BE A MEMBER NOW I THINK--ESPECIALLY TO TAKE A TITLE). THE FORMAT IS FORTY TARGETS IN 2.5 DAYS, SHOOTING STARTS ON FRIDAY AND ALL TARGETS MUST BE SHOT BY ,I THINK, SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 11 AND 1 ON SUNDAY. LAST YEAR THERE WERE A LOT OF 20 TARGET RANGES AS OPPOSED TO 10 TARGET RANGES THE YEAR BEFORE. PRETTY MUCH, YOU CAN SHOOT ALL 40 IN ONE DAY, OR 2O A DAY, AND I THINK LAST YEAR THEY ALLOWED YOU TO SHOOT ANY 10 OF 20 AND STOP. GET READY FOR SOME ROUGH TERRAIN ALSO, IF IT RAINS, AND IT PROBABLY WILL YOU WILL NEED APPROPIATE GEAR. AS FAR AS TERRAIN GOES, NELSONVILLE AND THE WORLDS ARE THE TOUGHEST, BUT I HAD A TOUGH TIME IN BEDFORD LAST YEAR IN THE RAIN AND MUD. WELCOME AGAIN, BUTCHB.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:44 PM

Welcome aboard WIshooter, you do not have to pre-register to shoot the National Triple Crown, you DO have to pre-register if you are going to shoot the IBO World Championship, you also have to qualify at a local qualifier or shoot well enough at one leg of the National Triple Crown to qualify. You can shoot all 40 in one day if you would like or you can spread it out over 3 days, most shoots are set-up in ten target ranges, if you start a range you must finish it unless you have equipment failure or the range offical calls you off. ( you can't stop because of darkness). Most people don't shoot 40 in one day, take your time and enjoy the weekend. If you are going to shoot the National Triple Crown, the first shoot is in Bedford IN, get a room quick because they fill up fast, there is camping available at each shoot though. Nelsonville also has dorm rooms available, McKean most people stay in Erie, call Terri at Nittany Travel they are more than helpful. Hope this helps you, Rudy
Old 03-14-2004, 03:35 PM

you asked about the ranges, they are nothing like the asa as far as setup. in the asa its mostly shoot, pull and return. the ibo is more like a walk in the woods, you may not see the group in front or behind you while you are shooting from the stake. they are a little more spread out. you will see a lot of terrain used to trick the shooter, and maybe a little more yardage than the "other" organization.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:36 AM

What are the registration price of the Triple Crown Events?
Old 03-15-2004, 02:56 PM

WIshooter
The cost to join the IBO is $25.00 for a individual membership or $30.00 for a family membership. The cost to particpate in the Triple Crown events depends on which class you decide to shoot in. Hunter class-$30.00, ALL other Amateurs $45.00, Semi Pro $135.00, All other pro classes $270.00 Remember you must be a member of the IBO this year to shoot in the Triple Crown.