Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
NEWBIE question; What equipment are you using? >

NEWBIE question; What equipment are you using?

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

NEWBIE question; What equipment are you using?

Old 02-28-2002, 06:33 AM

Default NEWBIE question; What equipment are you using?

I posted earlier about looking into Traditional Bowhunting and received lots of good advise! BTW, I ordered the Byron Ferguson book!
I am curious now to see what equipment everyone is using. Type of bow,quiver,arrows,broadheads,glove or tab,etc...

THANX
LURP DOG
Old 02-28-2002, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEWBIE question; What equipment are you using?

I shoot an OL Adcock 3 piece longbow, bocote riser and cane limbs. I have a back quiver, I shoot Graphlex arrows and 2216 aluminums (woods are great but I don't want to spend the time with them) and use a glove. I aint much of a shot, but enjoy shooting my bow as much as the next guy. Playing with arrows - crowning and cresting, is a lot of fun too.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot a ChekMate Crusader longbow: 64" 56# @ 28" Yew limbs with purpleheart core, grey actionwood riser. Right now using some old 2214 arrows. Haven't had time to get to the proshop (30 miles away) to get the proper arrows for this bow.

The recurve is my old Colorado Bighorn. 55#

Romans 8:28
Old 02-28-2002, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Currently, I use my Bear Recurve, I have an OL Adcock one piece longbow on order, but it won't be ready for another year. I use aluminum arrows with a 160 grain head (Magnus). I use gloves from Black Widow. I use a back quiver, but also have a side mount.

Lurp Dog - it sounds like you have the traditional bug!!! LOL My advice is don't try to fight it, just go with it.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:00 AM

BobCo19-65: I have an very good condition, 1956 Bear recurve (Grizzly?)in my workshop that I used to shoot squirrels many moons ago that I plan on using. I'll take to a proshop to have them check it and get a new string for it. I was getting tied of all the speed hype and gadgets associated with compounds so I sold mine and hope to really get into Traditional bowhunting.

LURP DOG
Old 02-28-2002, 08:01 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

My primary hunting bow is a 62" Chek-Mate Hunter II pulling 65# @ 32", with a Cocobolo riser and Yew limbs. I shoot it off a Flipper II rest with a 14 strand endless Dyna 97 string and two half sets of cat whiskers. There's small Limbsavers on it too.

Arrows are full length Beman ICS Camo Hunters with 125 grain Thunderheads and 4 4" left wing helical feathers.

I use a Kwikee Kwiver and a PSE tab.

JRW
Old 02-28-2002, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL, Lurp, I have gone to Traditional For the Same Reasons, plus the added challenge. Sounds like your bow is very similar to mine. From around the same time period. I inherited mine from my father (RIP), this past year. He insisted starting me off traditional when I was a kid, but I went the way of technolgy for years. Just getting back to my roots now.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

My primary shooter is a 66" Chek-Mate Crusader takedown LB with DF97 string that's 54# @28". I placed a seal skin hair on shelf and strike plate rest on it and shoot 29" 2016 aluminums with the Easton glue in broadhead adapter inserts and 125g points or Zwickey Eskimo broadheads. I put a Selway Quick Detach 4 arrow bow quiver on the bow and use a whitetail back quiver. I also shoot bamboo and cedar arrows from the bow and have found that a 60/65 cedar with 160g broadhead flies extremely well from the bow and that's probably how I'll be going in the future. I use a black hole broadhead target for my practice but don't recommend it for much broadhead shooting. The slim design of the target allows the head to eat it up fast so that passthroughs become common after a hundred or so shots. I use a latigo tab.

Old 02-28-2002, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

Lurp, be careful about taking the bow to a compound proshop. If that is all they deal in, they may not know any more about your Bear bow than you do. Shoot LBR an email and he can help you with string length and find someone near you that shoots sticks so they can examine the bow for you.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:57 AM

Wahya: Thanx for the info & heads-up! I have 3 archery shops nearby and I'll check to see if they indeed know anything about Traditional bows. I also believe the string info is stamped on the bow along with the weight.

LURP DOG

Quick Reply: NEWBIE question; What equipment are you using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.