Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > IBO > Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
 Does elevation make a differince at Snow ShoeMt? >

Does elevation make a differince at Snow ShoeMt?

Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Does elevation make a differince at Snow ShoeMt?

Old 01-30-2004, 08:00 AM

Default Does elevation make a differince at Snow ShoeMt?

I'm asking this question because my shots tinded to hit higher than what my sights where set for .Some have said they don't set anything different for the down hill shots our the elevation change.I don't shoot at the target bags any more i just shoot the defence fund to get ready.Be it a triple crown or the World.I don't trust the target bags.I know of a few(people) that where disqauilified at the bottom of the ski lift cause there speed or weight was not the same as it had been at home before they went .The speed was faster ,and the weight of the arrow lightend,which ever one they had measured.
Has any body had this problem?
Old 01-30-2004, 10:36 AM

Default RE: Does elevation make a differince at Snow ShoeMt?

i havent noticed a difference in speed, or arrows hitting higher on the targets. as for (people) getting disqualified at the bottom of the mountain, there are scales available at the check in tents as well as chronographs. that being said, if you are running that close to the edge, be it weight of arrows and bow weight, or speed, that is the risk you take. at that point in the game i see no reason to risk getting dq'ed after the effort it takes to get there......

the only real difference i see at that altitude, 4848 feet, is a little thinner air than that back home, elevation 760 here....
Old 01-30-2004, 12:45 PM

Robinhood11x,

There does seem to be some effect of the higher elevation on equiptment. The total reason for this was probably covered in one of the physics classes I missed, but at this point I can't totally understand it. I would however venture a guess that it takes variables such as arrow weight, length, and composition into account along with Limb weight and design,string material and condition, draw length, as well as atmospheric conditions, temperature ect. ect. ect. All of this add up to simply say that it may effect one person differently than another without warning or explaination. The point here is, as Keith suggested, don't live quite that close to the edge.

As for adjusting for uphill/downhill shots..... You have to listen closely to what someone is saying. Archer #1 does not adjust for uphill/downhill shooting. They just judge the horizontal distance to the target, set their sights and make the shot. Archer #2 calulates the in-line distance to the target and subtracts yardage based on the angle of the shot. Archer #3 simply holds low on the target when he/she is presented with those same angled shots. It is my view that all three feel they are reacting differently to the shot senerio, while in fact they are simply reaching the same point by different methods. Each action reduces the effects of the percieved distance to the target. Those of us who do not have a lot of practice time in the hills, have a significant challenge when suddenly faced with those conditions.

Just my thoughts, I hope some of it makes sence.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:50 PM

james, i re-read your post. you stated you do not shoot the practice bales at the big shoots because you do not trust the bales. may i ask why you dont trust them? is there a safety issue there?

my feeling on the practice ranges is i will go there, warm up, shoot at every yardage, and if my arrows do not hit where they should, i first check the targets with a rangefinder. if the rangefinder is correct, i move my pointer. if it is off, says the 30 yard target is closer and i am hitting higher, i move my sight to 29 yards and double check....paranoid i guess.

bluejacket got a little more in depth than i, but he is right. shooting down hill you will impact the target higher than a level shot of the same distance. some of that smart guy physics stuff i know nothing about. depending upon the angle to the target depends on the amount of yardage i take off. snowshoe usually is set well enough to never warrant over 2 yards being taken off...
Old 02-01-2004, 06:46 PM

I'll agree with the posts that have been generated, I personally don't pay to much attention to the practice butts unless I'm seeing that I'm hitting way off my spot, unless you have had any equipment malfuncation or some thing moved you are going to find that most of the problem is the lug nut behind the string! Ask Keith about Friday at Nelsonville. As far as being dsq'ed I don't live that close to the edge and always check your equipment with what's available at the check-in tent at the beginning of your ranges! As far as elevation, just takes a fat mans breath away faster! and has negative affects on the amount of beer those boys from Kentucky can drink.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:38 PM

up there in the thin air the beer is lighter isnt it?kinda like a bud double light[8D]
Old 02-01-2004, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: nys rep

As far as elevation, just takes a fat mans breath away faster!
I'm not "Fat".....Just big boned!!
Old 02-02-2004, 08:11 AM

Thanks guys for the input .My bow shoots 269 fps ,arrows 275 grns i keep it this way so i don't have the disqualifying problem.If i shoot good enough to even be checked.It just seemed to me that i was subtracting a lot more yardage than nessisary .I have not had any problems with sights moving prior to shoots ,so it must be a mental problem that must need some work.
At Bedford i shot the target bags and moved my sights accordingly.What a miss take .I shot terribly (and was then mentaly challenged ) because of resighting in and believed that was the problem.And had i left them alone would have shot better knowing i had not made any adjustments.These to me are learning experience and will one day pay off .I really do appreciate anybodies input.
I will say i just got into MBR class last spring coming up from HC,so i'm still working on yardages .Its a tuff class!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 07:10 PM

I made a very similar mistake at the Alabama State Championships. I have always set my sights a certain way,ALWAYS. I let some guys talk me into changing them based on their experiences at the state shoot. As you said, BIG MISTAKE on my part. Shoot what got you there to begin with and as you said you will have confidence in your equipment and yourself.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:17 AM

Good post. S