Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 shot placement from an elevation? >

shot placement from an elevation?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

shot placement from an elevation?

Old 09-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default shot placement from an elevation?

My son has opted to come out tomorrow evening opposed to tomorrow morning so now I am going to be in my stand.
My stand is going to put me into a position where I will have to be shooting almost straight down, and I just realized I do not know where to put my arrow from an angle like that. I am assuming I still aim for the same place as a horizontal shot but take a longer route getting it there, but I thought I would ask anyways..
Old 09-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shot placement from an elevation?

tho's are some of the most deciving shots,it best to have at least 10 yrd out shot,I've takenone streight down shot and have missed,1st reason My 1st pin is set at 20 yrds(compound bow) and I put it right on the spine and missed,stuck the earth right by the deer.Not unless you have practiced this shot I would let the deer get atleast 10 yrds out.With that said,I havent taken a shot yet with the CB at a streight down angle with the 10 spot,but I would think you would still put the 10 on the spine.......This is a streight down shot with no angle....
I will not take that shot due to the chance of injurying the animal...Lesson Learned........................................... ..........................................
Old 09-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't take the shot unless I tried it on a target first. Probably not the answer you were looking for. sorry.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Imho, they have to come in and then go out to get straight down, I'd pass.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Straight down is a shot I practice with and sure is a toughy. Don't think I would try it in the field butI have been known to be weakOut to 25 yards though I pretty much always hold 1/3 up the chest. I frankly find that at those kind of distances a inch high or an inch low in not gonna make or break me. I am however just about always less than 20 ft up the tree and usually right around 15ft. Seems the higher I go up the harder it is to maintain shooting lanes and shot angles become more of a concern.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

I will do some practicing from the roof today, I should have looked into this before I hung my stand.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shooting to strait down will only get one lung he is liable to run a mile, I don't do that anymore.
I want them at least 15 yds out and in the back edge of the shoulder through both lungs right out the top of the heart. I took 7 deer last year[we had an in town hunt with no limit] all with arrows NONE OF THEM WENT OVER 40 YDS [5 were with an old compound the other 2 were with cross bow] to me hitting them in the right place is very important [the last deer was my 109th with a bow] tomorrow the season opens here for this year and I will try to keep getting it right even though I am over the hill now[turned 70 2 weeks a go. Lee
Old 09-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

By straight down do you really mean that? Or five or ten yards. You need a little angle just to drive it thru the lungs otherwise your just gonna spine it and you don't want your boy to see a spined deer on his first hunt if you can avoid.. It's not pretty and really tears at your heart if you love the game you hunt.
The one deer I spined bawled and tried to drag himself away. I also waited to long to take the second finishing shot. It left a bad taste in my mouth as it should have.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

I guess straight down isn't exacly the right way to phrase it. My stand is in a tree that is spitting out tons of acorns, it is about 7-8 feet from a farmers tractor trail and it is currently showing a huge amount of traffic. The deer will be out 5-7 yards from the base of my tree at their closest, I have two very small windows from their approach to get a 25ish yard shot on them.
My kid will be in the blind when he comes, so that will all be ground stuff.
I did a bunch of shooting from 15' today to get an idea of where my arrow is actually going to go..
Old 09-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

5 to 7 yards is not straight down and you can sure catch them thru both lungs at that distance. I would take that shot anyway....

Quick Reply: shot placement from an elevation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.