Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Hunter Class under fire!

Old 08-23-2003, 07:51 AM

Default RE: Hunter Class under fire!

bartman,
like big o said-get a rifle-58 yards, I CAN hit out to 80 yards I got sick of the mbo class i wanted to have FUN shooting and not put out thousands of dollars in equipment yearly to compete and hunt. So I went to the hunter class to accomplish two things save money on buying 1 set up instead of 2, and have fun. As far as saying " If you think you can move up to 45 yards then shoot MBR." I than would have to deal with the likes of you. The hunter class maynot be a distance shoot but the restrictions made for the shooters that CHOOSE to shoot this class is what is interesting. The bulk of the shooters in HC are not new to the IBO, so we are all capable of shooting farther, a thought for you.....if you as good as you say you are come to the HC lose the speed and stablizers and shot with the HC class...or maybe you need that extra stuff to shot better I don' t. OR maybe you can tell me how many IBO championships you have won, if you can hit living deer at 58 yards the plastic ones shouldn' t be a problem...again just some thoughts before you go on bashing a class that is now the largest in the IBO.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:52 AM

I have to agree with Bartman on much of his post. Though I' ve never arrowed a deer that far away, I have never hunted with 4" vanes. When I first started shooting tournament archery (6 months after getting my first bow) I was shooting ICS 400 Field Shafts, screw in 90 grain points, with 1.75" vanes out of a 27.5" draw MQ1 at 64 lbs with a blazing 262 fps.

I went to an IBO CLub and wanted to sign up in the beginner class to compete. There was no beginner class so I signed up in the Huner Class because the targets were closer, but guess what? I couldn' t shoot that class because of my 1.75" vanes. It was shoot for no score or go to the MBR with 6 months of bow shooting experience under my belt and a blistering 262 fps bow speed.

I have gone on to take deer every year since then with those same ICS 400 field shafts using those same Blaze Orange and White 1.75 inch vanes, and have never shot the IBO Hunter Class with my hunting set-up.

In the long run, IBO did me a favor by excluding me from that class, and Bartman knows what I mean. You don' t know how to move shooters up? You tell them, " your average placement is in the top 20% of the class so you' re moving up to MBR!" The only difference in MBR and Hunter is vane length and screw in points. Get rid of that and make it an " experience oriented class" and you will be better off IMHO.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks LDFalks!! I just got done with a long letter and was going to post it but the web went down. But you hit the nail on the head. HC is a great class if those cherry pickers would move up and give a novice a chance.
At are local club we had a bunch of great shooters move to the HC and they shot the kills out of our targets. This is great practice for a hunter as long as a 190 class buck isnt out their at 36 yards HA HA
We started the HC to intice more novice HUNTERS to the sport of 3D not to have great ones move down to cherry pick. IMHO
Old 08-23-2003, 08:10 PM

I still have trouble understanding where you guys get off trying to tell someone else what class they should be shooting in. If you are happy in your class why not leave everyone else alone, I have shot in MBR what is the big deal about it, I never had the fun we have in the HC. HC has been great for IBO and if left alone will do fine in the future.[8D]
Old 08-23-2003, 08:32 PM
BOS

LDFalks,
In your description of the differences in HC and MBR you forgot to mention stabilizer length.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:37 AM

LDFALKS you got turned away not because of your shooting abilty but because of the equipment your using hmmmm. Just a reminder HC is not the distance competion or cherry pickers. But the test of using less to accomplich more. You got turned away from shooting a event because of vanes only. Well if you sign up for MBO and Shoot from the White stakes and got thrown out, its the same thing rules are there to challege those partaking in the event, if this was a free-for-all and shoot what you have and put everyone is the pot, every one shoot from the same stakes how many people would be in their best pray position wanting not to shoot against people with unlimited resourses......Do you want to pay the entry fee of the pro' s and shoot agianst them but NOT have the equipment equal to them..... Please don' t take this as a slam but that' s what rules do limits the playing fields...The speed rule of 5 grains/lbs or 280 fps which one best suites the ENTIRE IBO. Lets all shoot 280 fps......not 275 not 290....a flat 280 fps...than would get rid of the entire youth classes but wait rules are implace to allow slower bows and their stakes are closer than most...AGAIN RULES LEVEL THE FEILD FOR THOSE THAT WANT TO SHOOT ANY CLASS THAT' S OFFERED THE MORE CLASSES THE MORE HAPPY PEOPLE SHOOTING, SHOOT YOUR CLASS AND BE HAPPY IF YOUR NOT MOVE TO A DIFFERENT CLASS THAT YOU WHAT TOO SHOOT
Old 08-24-2003, 08:27 AM

Guys, This is not, and should not be a personal attack on anyone. If you like a target setup fine, shoot MBR. If you like a scope, shoot MBO. If you like a stick bow , shoot traditional. If you prefer the HC shoot it. The point is no one should be judging anyone else. You are not a supreme being because you shoot in a certain class. It just seems to me a guy or gal in this country should be able to shoot where they want under the rules in thier class without being called a cherry picker ect. How many of you could go out on the HC courses and shoot a 440 with your equipment? How can some one say the HC should not be shooting as well as they do? Are there guys in MBR who should move up to MBO? Are there guys in MBO who should have to move on to PRO? Who makes these judgements? I never came close to winning a major event in the IBO and I have been in a few classes. The guys winning, if they want to , so what. We are all brothers in archery and a battle within will destroy the IBO. I think the people within the different classes should determine thier own fate. Growth of the sport is important. The IBO needs committies within the class to make changes. Who knows better than the shooters what is wanted and needed. Also good shooters in any class will make you work harder if compitition is what you want. We all want different things, that does' nt make us better, or worse as a person. What we do and say detemines that.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:49 AM

I overheard a conversation Saturday under the tent on Skidder slope. Basically what was said was that one gentleman moved from MBO to HC because he wasn' t winning in MBO. The comment was " some money is better than none" I guess he wasn' t worried about improving his skills. He was just there for the money.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:12 PM

just a thought, how about the HC be required to use a caliper release ??
Old 08-24-2003, 05:42 PM

I hunt with a Stan... so I wouldn' t like that, but....

How about No Binoculars?

Quick Reply: Hunter Class under fire!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.