Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

payouts for all classes

Old 11-03-2006, 09:15 AM

Default payouts for all classes

Will there be payouts for all ibo classes this year. I know there was not a payout in the hunter class last yearandI was wondering if that was going to be different this year. I would hope there would be a payout in all the classes when were all paying money to come and shoot. It would be really nice to know that a good weekend of shooting could bring a little then an award. Which is very nice don't get me wrong. Last year was my first year shooting 3d and i am going to shoot hunter class one more year before moving up. I am was just thinking a payout to such a large and very difficult classs would be nice.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:12 AM

Default RE: payouts for all classes

The Board of Directors did not decide to place a purse in the hunter classes. They have established levels of competition for IBO events, for several purposes.
Hunter classes were established to be an entry level/ or less competitive competition.
Thisis why the Advanced Hunter Class was established and it has a purse. Before I say the following, I do not know who you are yet. Maybe I have met you and do know you, but for this purpose I am not going to look you up. Just a bit of rambling information.

I willsay that we have several (? ) shooters competing in this class that should not be. The class was not intended to require a score in excess of 400 to just be on the first page of the results andI believe the board will continue to tweak these classes until they are at the level intended. A friend shot a 400 a couple years at at the world and was not in the top 100 shootes after the second day.
If you remember we (I) got skewered after Nelsonvill this year because we had used targets that were shot up on the ranges. A little FYI, on Friday morning those targets were brand spanking new. For IBO National event purposes we canlive with that.(be it not comfortably)
But lets think a bit about the impact that level of accuracy is having on the local clubs. With the costs of targets today, I do not believe clubs can charge enough of an entry fee to pay for their targets. Shooters won't pay it. Thay will go somewhere for less.
Shooters want high scores and I can understand that. But that desire will have to be balanced with the need for a place to shoot.
This is probably more than you wanted to know but sometimes I can't help myself.
ken12

Old 11-07-2006, 07:40 PM

Why can't we advance these shooters out?Stop and think about it how many of these shooters scores are that high at every shoot.Let's bump them out.I'm all for it.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:29 AM

A few years ago, I was dead set on doing just that, forcing anyone shooting 400 or above up the ladder of competition. Since then Fastfletch, amoung many, many others, have given me cause to pause on that notion. Forcing that many folks into other levels of competition is a rather severe approach. I now believe there is a better way, and it is starting to be effective. While Ken outlined one of the major considerations for these decisions, there is another that I personally feel is just as significant.

The comment was made that we don't have a payout for the Hunter Classes. That is not totally true. For the Worlds this last year, over 90 people from those classes recieved gift cards, ranging from $100.00 to $300.00. That list is posted at www.ibo.net. Now for classes intended to draw new shooters to come out and try our events, I think that having that many people benefit is rather important. By keeeping these in a random dispursal format, you don't have to shoot "up" in an entry level class to see a little reward. All that you have to do is to be willing to bring your toys and come out to play. Now just for the record, I am very proud of anyone who practices, competes, and wins regardless of what class they do it in. My goal, however, is not to make you all winners at these events. My goal is to make you all competitors at these events, striving to be the best bowhunter \ archer around. Anything that I \ we can do to encourage more people (bowhunters) to take up that attitude will quickly gain my support.

Just offering another viewpoint on the subject.
Chris Turner
Old 11-08-2006, 09:45 AM

The Hunter class needs a limit established (dollar, prize or whatever) and when one meets or exceeds that limit, the individual is automatically moved to the next level. Since the hunter class was established, the MBR class has continually went down in shooters.The hunter class is no longer an entry level competition.

Just my thoughts!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:50 PM

I wonder how many hours Chris and I have discussed/ argued this subject. He is relelntless!
BT, we do now have those limits in play. Two national events, a national championship, or a world championship.
Now that we have got you all in here. What can work?
Fastfletch has some good comments and opinions on this, now is a good time to talk about it.
We got a year to set up some better guidelines. Certainly we can get a direction in that amount of time.
ken12

Old 11-08-2006, 01:43 PM

I would like to first start out by sayingI agree with all of your comments about people shooting hunter class that should not be shooting the class. I for one feel that last yearI wasover matched at alot of the shoots in hunter. But I will say this it made me a better shooter becauseI wanted to beat those guys above me that were shooting high 400's. Now last year was the first yearI ever shoot 3D. As a matter of fact I never even knew 3D was around until Jan of 06.I have always been a bow hunter just never in the 3D world.The problem isn't with thepeople who are shooting the class that are really to good for it but the IBO that lets them stay in the class. I was happy as a lark with the wayI shot last year with it being my first year doing it. So I know first hand how it feels to shoot well and not be up there, but for me to move up it would mean more money to buy new equipment which would be on topof the moneyI have allready spent to but a new bow to shoot with. So for someone like me who would like to move up after one year of shooting can't becauseI have spent so much moneyallready. Next year I will spend more money and move up.As for the hunter class being a beginner class, in my opinion it is not.There are some sharks up there that are good at what they do. I thinkthe IBOshouldallow the hunter class to pay the 50.00 to compete in a money class. And the people that want to shoot for funcan shoot for fun at 35.00.Plus I shoot aPSE and in the hunter class they have a bow payoutfor those who shoot a PSE and the money is there which is whatI need to move up.I also think the IBO can make some changes to improve inself but doesn't. All this was talked about just after the worlds and still there were no chages to the system so once again theIBO whichI am glad is around is to blame for all the toss up questions. I really like the IBO shoots and am not trying to make anyone mad who has been around for awhile because that's not my place. But fix the problem don't expect it to go away. I am new, this is just the wayI see it.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:06 AM

Some things to consider to encourage HC shooters to move up might be:

speed restrictions in the HC only;

enlarge Saturday shooter group to the top 10% of shooters;

make Saturday a stand alone day in the enlarged HC field where all shooters start anew at zero;

all Saturday shooters must move up the following year.

???????????

Rick
Old 11-09-2006, 06:06 PM

After reading and thinking about the hunter class issue I can say that there should be a move up rule to keep new shooters coming to our sport. I don't think though it is fair to make someone move up who doesn't want to if they just enjoy shooting. So hear is what I think would work. Make a limit on what people can win in a year of shooting. Like the top15 at every shoot must move up the following year or so much money in a year must move up. But if the person doesn't wish to move they mustgiving upany of there winnings or prizes to the nextshooter that is eligable for winnings. I am not ready to move up to the next level because I don't have the equipmentto do so yetbut will in time. But if the IBO said this was the way it was I would give up my winnings to the next person because in my shooting plan the next level is a year out still. I do hope the IBOwill come up with something to help our sport move on to the next level.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:23 PM

This dead horse has been beaten for the last 5 years. I think they should take the average score from the top 10 in the H.C triple crown last year. Lets say its 1250 overall. Anybody in the H.C that shoots that or above should be persuaded to compete in another class. The problem seems to be that their is mixed feelings about forcing shooters out of the H.C. Their is a very good idea in the previous post. Dont force the cherry pickers out just dont acknowlege their score. Let them stay in the H.C if they want just dont post their score. The people that areconstantly in the top 10 in this class are not doing it for the money. In my opinion its more of a prestigue thing. But if your score is not posted their is nothing to brag about. The guys that shoot in this class just because of the 35yd max, or because they want to shoot with someone else that shoots the H.C are not going to mind their score not being displayed.