Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA to get wild pheasants from SDakota >

PA to get wild pheasants from SDakota

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA to get wild pheasants from SDakota

Old 05-04-2005, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: PA to get wild pheasants from SDakota

ORIGINAL: oldgrunt

ORIGINAL: PA_BOW_HUNTER

this would be nice if it worked but they have been trying to keep pheasants in PA for a while with no luck....
Pen raised or wild. There is a HUGE difference.
Hey oldgrunt, don't get me wrong, I really hope this exchange works and pheasants survive and spread throughout the state. I only meant by my comment that for a whole host of reasons in the past pheasant stocking hasn't been working here in PA.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, there is a huge difference in pen raised and wild pheasants. Wild pheasants will have a better chance at surviving here in Pa due to the fact that they actually know what a predator is and how to hide unlike the dumb pen raised birds. I just wonder if they have the same predators out west that they will here. Lancaster probably has some of the best pheasant habitat around. There are tons of farms with lots of fence rows and thick cover it's just that the farmers kill alot of the chicks unknowingly when they work their fields which is part of the reason for the decline here in the number of birds. I would almost bet that we have alot more predators here then the grasslands of South Dakota (not possitive but I see a heck of alot of hawks, coons and foxes). I hope it does work and we get a healthy population back but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:38 AM

I know up at blue marsh they have been releaseing them for years thousands of birds. Some have taken hold. Its the hens that have the problem and the whole reproductive thing. Last time i walked up there i seen many cocks. that were well alert. Hey they out flew my bird shot.....
Old 05-04-2005, 07:25 AM

One the problems with pen raised birds is that the hens have high propensities toward abandoning nests. I think the survival rate for pen raised birds in general is something like 7% (one year). Wild birds are several time greater. I don't know the stats, but probably something more like 30-40%. If some pen raised birds are already taking to the area, then it bodes well for the chances of the wild birds.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

I talked with a Pheasants Forever rep at a outdoor show and he told me of the plan. While good I told him you don't have to go that far to find wild birds. The Hackensack Medowlands has wild birds from Secaucus down to Newark Airport and wild birds can still be found in Staten Island. The last stockings of birds took place in the early 50's.
I would love to see some of those birds trapped and released also.