Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Liability Insurance for ATVs in MD >

Liability Insurance for ATVs in MD

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Liability Insurance for ATVs in MD

Old 02-08-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Liability Insurance for ATVs in MD

Bill HB 95 has had the third read and is enrolled which means it now is sitting on the governors desk waiting to be signed into law. Part of the text is as follows-

"Requires an ATV operated in the State to be covered.........If the required insurance does terminate or lapse, the Commissioner must assess against the owner a penalty of $150 for each ATV without insurance for a period of 1 to 30 days, the penalty increases by $7 for each day. Penalties are credited to the general fund. "

Which means if you own one you better have insurance on it if it runs or not and it doesn't matter if you just ride it on your own property. The only people who'll benefit from this is the state for the revenue they'll get and the insurance companies.

Whats next? Riding mowers, farm equipment or bicycles

Here's the link to send the governor an email.

http://www.gov.state.md.us/mail/
Old 02-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Liability Insurance for ATVs in MD

I wrote a pretty extensive legal brief on this issue and Md is one of many states passing similar laws.

The number of ATV accidents is skyrocketing, leaving homeowners' and health insurance policies to foot the bill.

Many of those policies are now offering express exclusions on ATV use, which hangs the user out to dry.

It's simply a mechanism which puts the cost of insuring the risk on those who actually create the risk. Before this legislation, the costs of those injuries were being fixed into any and all insurance policies. It just helps keep the money where it belongs, and makes people think before they engage in hazardous activity.

Personally, I think the penalty is a little light and the insurance policy limit requirements are set too low. Who really thinks $15,000 is adequate compensation for the loss of a child???

They had to do something, b/c the personal injury firm in which I work gets a LOT of ATV injury calls. We take none of those clients. The contributory negligence is always very high and too many insurance policies won't cover.

This was a necessary step, IMHO.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:06 AM

i think its a fantastic idea. hope it gets enacted soon here in penn also. this will do several things:
1. cut down on salesand make iresponsible people think twice about buying one
2. keep the damn things off my property
3. what irks my a$$ is if u hit one of these bozos on the road even if its not your fault they still sue you for damages.
4. personally i think they should be outlawed
Old 02-09-2005, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree whoever gets hurt on one should either be insured or pay for whatever damages there are, etc. but don't think the government should make people have insurance on one. Many only store it in Maryland or hardly drive it at all there, maybe only putting around the back yard every so often so it doesn't die on them.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:25 PM

I goofed, this bill is still in committee.

Quiksilver- I understand what your saying but its wrong for government to mandate that I buy a product from private industry. I'm not required by law to buy health insurance or to purchase liability insurance on my home or any other item which is used strictly on private property. This is nothing more than a state sponsored windfall for insurance companies which will set a bad presidence. What next, gun owners being required to be insured to cover those injuries as well. Now I would accept having ATV's insured if they were operated on state grounds.

If accident rates are causing the Insurance Co. problems maybe they need to work with ATV manufactures more to better educate the public on safety.

Ductman- Having insurance will not keep someone from trespassing on your property. In this state its against the law to operate an ATV on the road.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

It reminds me of the emissions testing, where they mandate you spend at least $500 to fix the problem and route you to a few specific private gas stations that are "certified" for the work. When I got done, I spent well over $500 and get this.... my car failed WORSE than before I went there and spent the money! It would be one thing if I got new wires or plugs or something, but their work was "cleaning the plates" and things that I couldn't verify if they even did anything.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are way off thinking the insurance industry is to blame for this.Pa enacted a similar law about 3 years ago although those that ride strictly on their own property are exemt.I own and rides atv's and also own my own insurance agency so I see both sides of this argument.In Pa, homeowners insurance doesn't cover liability or physical damage of ATV's.The average premium I see for liability os between $25 and 30$ a year.It's not a big deal and insurance companies aren't getting rich over it.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:36 PM

OH PLEASE, iv heard that a 100 times. guys who own 4 wheelers get bored running theyre own property quick. and just maybe if u guys have insurance i wont be responsible when u hit me as your flying up the road. i know of several cases where the atv rider was allowed to sue a motor vehicle driver for damages when the accident was no fault of the legal driver
Old 02-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wirehair

You buy a car from a private entity, and your state mandates that you must have some minimal level of insurance coverage to be able to ride on state roadways. Do you cry about that, too???
Old 02-15-2005, 12:13 PM

Quiksilver
If you take a moment and reread my posts you'll see I mentioned items strictly used on private property. The last I checked state roadways weren't considered private property.

The only crying I hear is coming from the insurance office because this bill got an unfavorable review and will die in committee.

Quick Reply: Liability Insurance for ATVs in MD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.