Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY changes to the Proposal >

NY changes to the Proposal

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY changes to the Proposal

Old 02-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY changes to the Proposal

Once the ML season opens the pattern of deer will change making it diffulcult to take one with a bow after the season closes.I don't have the luxury to hunt private property.I am guessing there will be many guys in the woods throwing sabots.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY changes to the Proposal

Just as an FYI...

Here in CT, landowner firearm opens on November 1st, basically the best hunting. Landowners with 10+ acres are allowed to use rifles, larger than .243.

Since I've been here, there have been under 10 hunting related accidents. Most have been treestand or heartattacks. I believe that there have been 3 shooting fatalities...one person was hunting on Sunday (which is illegal) and mistook a man and his chocolate lab for a deer, the other involved a prison warden firing at a DEC officer after hours (smells like fish eh?!), and the other involved two best friends---who loaded their weapons near their vehicle, with an "accidental" discharge blasting through the truck and killing a friend (more "fishy smell" with that one also).

I bow hunt during this time, as do many others, with little regard for "unsafe" conditions.

Neither the bowhunters or landowners are required to wear orange, and this period lasts for about 2.5 weeks. Also has a minimal effect on deer pattern, and I'm guessing that the number of muzzleloader hunters per square mile in NY will be less than the number of rifle-toting landowners per square mile here in CT...