Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Things not likely to change in PA... at least not this year. >

Things not likely to change in PA... at least not this year.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Things not likely to change in PA... at least not this year.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:34 PM

Default RE: Things not likely to change in PA... at least not this year.

I say as long as we that DO hunt are paying 100% of the PGC's operating fund that's whom they are obligated to listen to first
That's why Alt went outside and away from the hunters to get funds for his management plan. Hunters think with their gun and not their brain. This is not about "the hunter" it is about the health of the herd and the forest.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:04 PM

Well, I have a problem with what was said by some of the Game Commissioners. It seems as though they are blowing off all hunters letters and comments by saying that they only care about seeing large numbers of deer. This seems to be a slap in the face to the guys who are sending in letters from accross the state talking about what they would like to see done and letting them know the situation that their area is in. I personally sent in a letter letting them know the good and the bad and discussing what needs to be done in my area and what I have heard from hunters across the state. Know I read the statements and like I said, it seems like nothing but a slap in the face!
Old 01-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

We all know the small handful of ALT bashers. My point is a very simple comment to the article written in the Pitts Tribune. I take alot more stock in the comment and expertice of the individuals in the article than I do by the same ole - same ole broken record posters who will Damn anybody/everybody who disagrees with their form of wildlife management technics.

This guy Alt as I've stated in prior post had the Nadds to come up with a game plan to fix what most hunters within 500 miles knew was broke(the PA deer herd). A laughing stock in some hunting circles.

His plan was doomed to unpopularity from the get go. Hindsight is a many splender thing coming from a few armchair critics. Good for ALT. If he doesn't finish what he started from outside the PGC, you can bet somebody else will!

That's A Fact Jack
Old 01-11-2005, 03:40 AM

BM: thank you it seems like a pat on the back to the majority of hunters here in Pa.
Like I said IF the majority wanted HR and big antlers the Legislators would be pushing that wouldn't they? But the leg. / Board members go with majority rules. Certainly plenty of letters were sent by both sides, but obviously the MAJORITY came from those not happy with the current trend or we wouldn't see Alt running off and SOME of the Board calling for swepping changes....would we.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: AJ52

We all know the small handful of ALT bashers. My point is a very simple comment to the article written in the Pitts Tribune. I take alot more stock in the comment and expertice of the individuals in the article than I do by the same ole - same ole broken record posters who will Damn anybody/everybody who disagrees with their form of wildlife management technics.

This guy Alt as I've stated in prior post had the Nadds to come up with a game plan to fix what most hunters within 500 miles knew was broke(the PA deer herd). A laughing stock in some hunting circles.

His plan was doomed to unpopularity from the get go. Hindsight is a many splender thing coming from a few armchair critics. Good for ALT. If he doesn't finish what he started from outside the PGC, you can bet somebody else will!

That's A Fact Jack
Undisputable truth......but one most close their eyes to.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:21 AM

While outdoor writers all over the state are praising Alt and thanking him for his efforts ,I would also like to thank Alt for the following,

THANK YOU Alt for:

1. Stating that late born fawns were due to a skewed B/D ratio ,when in fact it was due to the late breeding of female fawns in Dec. and Jan.

2,. Stating that we had a skewed B/D ratio prior to AR when in fact it was 1:2.1 ,which is the preferred ratio in a heavily hunted herd.

3. Stating that AR would save 75K to 80K 1.5 buck and then telling us in 2002 it only saved 38 K

4. Stating that we would have more and bigger buck than ever before and that AR would double the number of 8+ pt. buck even though that was impossible as we reduced our herd by 50%

5 Stating that the buck harvest would return to normal after the 2002 season, when in fact it was 30% lower in 2003.

6. Stating that the harvest of 283 K anterless deer reduced the herd by 8% and then telling us the herd has continued to increase since 1998.

7. Stating that we had to shoot more doe to make room for the buck, but then telling us we have had no herd reduction since you were appointed.

8. Telling the attendees at the Audubon conference that the beta hunters of PA couldn't harvest a deer even if it was locked in the conference room or something to that effect.

9. Stating that there hasn't been any successful regeneration north of I-80 in the last 50 years.

10. Stating that the harvests are not responsible for the reduced OWDD ,when in fact harvests have exceeded recruitment for the last four years in 2G, thereby reducing the herd to 12 DPSM, 3 DPSM below it's goal.

Finally , thank you Alt for leaving and blaming the hunters and the PGC for your failure to reduce the herd and your ineffectiveness!
Old 01-11-2005, 08:28 AM

let us not forget the years he was in charge of the bear here in Pa and told us Blk bears don't prey on fawns. Only to swap directions when he came aboard to run the deer program and tell us BEARS ARE A MAJOR PREDATOR ON FAWNS
Old 01-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Row Row Row your boat, gently down the stream

merrily

merrily

merrily

merrily

Life is but a dream

I'm drowning in this river of tears. You guys are such whiners. So what if you saw 5 deer instead of 8. So what if you saw 40 deer instead of 70. The sun will rise tomorrow, deer will breed and birds will sing. This isn't the end of the world, people. If the hunting really starts to suck, license sales will dip and PGC will react accordingly.

Look, I understand that you Alt-bashers are doing what you feel is in the best interest of the PA deer hunting population, which is a noble gesture. All this crying, however, is annoying. Either buy a license or don't buy a license. Something tells me that all you guys will be first in line to buy your tags next fall. Use thy actions in lieu of thy mouth.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Row Row Row your boat, gently down the stream

merrily

merrily

merrily

merrily

Life is but a dream

I'm drowning in this river of tears. You guys are such whiners. So what if you saw 5 deer instead of 8. So what if you saw 40 deer instead of 70. The sun will rise tomorrow, deer will breed and birds will sing. This isn't the end of the world, people. If the hunting really starts to suck, license sales will dip and PGC will react accordingly.

Look, I understand that you Alt-bashers are doing what you feel is in the best interest of the PA deer hunting population, which is a noble gesture. All this crying, however, is annoying. Either buy a license or don't buy a license. Something tells me that all you guys will be first in line to buy your tags next fall. Use thy actions in lieu of thy mouth.
AMEN!
Old 01-11-2005, 11:34 AM

what irks you guys is that for all the stumping you did for Alt and HR it didn't float among the rank & file hunters in Pa. sorry to put it so bluntly but that is the simple truth of it like it or not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.