Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 650 Miles Roundtrip for *&*&* >

650 Miles Roundtrip for *&*&*

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

650 Miles Roundtrip for *&*&*

Old 01-08-2005, 05:50 PM

Default 650 Miles Roundtrip for *&*&*

Well left NH yesterday at 4:30 to head to Zone 4 in Jersey for some winter bow. I had been checking the weather on the weather channel online and on TV over the last few days. Called for 40% chance of showers in that area. Also called for 1 to 3 inches of snow here in NH. Storm coming up the coast but should stay south of nh. We get to Milford, PA where we stay around 9:30Pm last night. Unload, then hop in the truck to head into the Gap area where we were going today, to see if we could find some track crossing the road into the corn fields, to give us an idea where we wanted to be at sunup. Well we have the spotlight checking fields and see no deer but we do see a few areas of moderate track and decide on one for the morning. We were going to continue driving and spotting fields when I realize I had not unloaded my bow from the vehicle to the hotel room. We put the light away and decide to get a beer before hitting the hay. We head back to the hotel around midnight and turn on the blasted weather channel. They are calling for ice and rain now until like 3 PM. We hit the hay and get up around 4:45Am and now they have a severe weather alert about snow and ice conditions and specifically point out the RTE 84 corridor to the Mass Pike and 6 to 12 inches in the Boston area. My buddy really wants to be home as he has been travelling a good deal over the last 10 days. We decide based on the weather and maps they are showing we should hit the dinner come back and square up at the hotel and head back to NH. We left Milford PA at 9 AM and arrived here in NH at around 4:30PM. Normally it's around 4.5 to 5 HRS Max. Stinking weather channell! We were prepared to hunt as we expected a chance of showers. 84 in NY was not to bad mainly rain and a bit of freezing when it hit the road on high spots. Called the wife around 10:30 from Ct on the cell phone to see what the weather was @ home in NH and told nothing and we probably were just lazy and didn't want to hunt the rain. Conn was all rain until 15 Min South of the MASS Pike then Snow and rain mix. We hit Worchester MA area and WHITE OUT all the way back to NH.

650 Miles roundtrip for 2 beers Each, a pizza, breakfast and a night in Milford PA- $120.00
Cost of NR Bow in NJ $135.50 ea
[size=2Finding out both of us really did not care if we went, but neither wanted to let the other down since we committed going to each other. [/size] True hunting buddies-PRICELESS
Oh yeah. Weather Channel at home is still calling for 2 to 4 and there is over 6 on the ground and still snowing like crazy!
Old 01-08-2005, 07:21 PM

Default RE: 650 Miles Roundtrip for *&*&*

Great story (lol) you can never trust the weather channel nothing like spending time with a friend though.
Good luck next time out
Old 01-09-2005, 03:56 PM

Can't trust the weather channel but a good huntin buddy is a keeper when you find them.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

the WEATHER CHANNEL screwed me a few times also......But spending time with friends is the best.

NHBUCK, I sometimes stay at my friends house in Digmans, PA....about 10mins from the Digmans Ferry Bridge. Next time you come down, goto the WALPACK INN and eat, great food, lots of mounts, and lots of live deer to view
Old 01-09-2005, 04:43 PM

I'll give it a try. We usually stay at the Myer Country Motel in Milford. We had a few beers at Apple Valley. Last time we ate there they had some good food. My buddy is all ready talking about next years plan for a week end of Oct First of Nov. I may join him for a few days but if I do a week I prefer to gun hunt for the full week. Getting them with a bow is great but I love to hear the roar of the gun.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

its supposed to get very warm this week. you could drive back next weekend
Old 01-09-2005, 05:52 PM

If I didn't plan around this past weekend and the last one of the month for hunting in NJ I would. Unfortunatly I'm flying out on buisness so the next two weekends are booked.