Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 What PA Residents Have Had Small Game Success? >

What PA Residents Have Had Small Game Success?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

What PA Residents Have Had Small Game Success?

Old 01-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default What PA Residents Have Had Small Game Success?

I've not been one to complain about the PA deer populations as has become the popular past-time in this state, but after a few outings this year and very, very little activity, I'm beginning to wonder what happened to all the small game in PA?

I've seen a few rabbits and that's about it. Also flushed a couple grouse during deer season, but nothing to get excited about.

Anyone else been disappointed with the small game situation in PA? I'm going to have to pay a hunting preserve if there's any hope of getting my kids into this sport. No wild game = video games for the youth![]
Old 01-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What PA Residents Have Had Small Game Success?

i have not see one grouse here in my area of NY in 4 years! (and i hunt ALOT) i used to get at least a few shots a year at em.

i think the north east is experiencing a "prey downswing", as all i see are owl, hawks, coyotes.....it goes in cycles, and the wet springs have hurt nesting for rabbits and grouse. at least around here.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:21 PM

Im a hunter, trapper, and a fisherman. I do a little habitat work for other hunters on private land and you would not be leave the difference it make. Look at your area. Is there any edge effect. Is the woodlot timber managed properly. The best tool for small game is the chainsaw. Cut out the edge drop it and leave it. Produce browse for deer, cover for turkeys, quail, pheasants and rabbits. Also, I run my beagles on about 1500 acres. Last year, I noticed fewer rabbits. So I trapped there. Got 62 red fox. We can't and shouldn't do any thing about birds of prey. But fox and coyotes, well they are small game and fair game in my book. Imagine 62 fox at 1 rabbit each per week per week per year. That 300+ on 1500 acres. More then me and 2 other rabbit men I gun with. My group shot 100+ last year. Oh yea, only took 10 fox on that piece this year. Didn't trap as hard though don't want them all just helping keep the balance.

Till our trails cross!
Old 01-06-2005, 09:29 PM

Hey fritz,

If you are in the Indiana County area, let me know as I have several areas around here that are just over-run with small game. Hardly anyone hunts small game around here besides rabbits, and there aren't alot of rabbit hunters out here. Heck, I can look out my bay window of my house in the middle of the day and have a dozen rabbits in my side yard!

Squirrels are out of control around here. While in my stand during the fall, I watched 15 squirrels running around me at once (the area is a thin patch of woods made entirely of white oaks and hickory trees with lawn grass planted on the ground. It is amazing to sit in and watch so many squirrels.

I did notice a decline in pheasents, but I believe this is because the PGC didn't stock as many out my way, and the ones they did were probablly killed by fox (we have a huge over-population of fox around here).

Saw alot of grouse and way too many g-hogs!
Old 01-06-2005, 09:40 PM

Hey Buck Magnet next year I'll trade you a weekend of flounder and striper fishing for a day or to of bunny hunting. After deer is out of course. Always looking.

Till our trails cross.
ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

Hey fritz,

If you are in the Indiana County area, let me know as I have several areas around here that are just over-run with small game. Hardly anyone hunts small game around here besides rabbits, and there aren't alot of rabbit hunters out here. Heck, I can look out my bay window of my house in the middle of the day and have a dozen rabbits in my side yard!

Squirrels are out of control around here. While in my stand during the fall, I watched 15 squirrels running around me at once (the area is a thin patch of woods made entirely of white oaks and hickory trees with lawn grass planted on the ground. It is amazing to sit in and watch so many squirrels.

I did notice a decline in pheasents, but I believe this is because the PGC didn't stock as many out my way, and the ones they did were probablly killed by fox (we have a huge over-population of fox around here).

Saw alot of grouse and way too many g-hogs!
Old 01-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

I'm in eastern PA so the rabbit trip isn't an option, but thank you for the offer. I need to see the birds of old.........ah the days of 10 or more cockbirds strutting around the backyard. They're just a memory now.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:05 AM

Small game?

Does that mean squirrel hunting?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only small game I see anymore are squirrels...[]
Old 01-07-2005, 06:07 PM

That is because of farm and woodlot practices. Buy a chainsaw see more game, I gurantee. Most woods looks like a city park. Great for squirrels. Bad for upland game birds and bunnies. Also, ask an farm how many rabbits they find dead after they blast the fields with fertilzer in the spring when rabbits are whelping. I see it while shooting g-hogs in the spring. Take time and look around.
ORIGINAL: PaJack

The only small game I see anymore are squirrels...[]
Old 01-07-2005, 10:09 PM

i have seen more rabbits than normal, same for grouse and phesant, squirrels are down though

Quick Reply: What PA Residents Have Had Small Game Success?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.