Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY DEER HUNTER SURVEY >

NY DEER HUNTER SURVEY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY DEER HUNTER SURVEY

Old 01-07-2005, 09:47 PM

Default RE: NY DEER HUNTER SURVEY

I would like to see minimum antler size for all seasons.I don't like the idea of muzzle in between bow season.I would like to see a longer(a month or more) exclusive late season for muzzleloaders.Hunt early with the bow and then leave the late season for blackpowder hunters.I like the idea of shotgun opening on the Saturday before Thanksgiving.I hunted with my muzzleloader only this season but it doesn't matter what gun you have in your hand if you don't even see a deer.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

like your train of though mdr
Old 01-07-2005, 10:14 PM

If I was the dictator and I what I said was it, I would mandate the following changes, in order of preference:

1.) Lower the legal deer hunting age for shotgun in Southern Zone from 16 to 14.
2.) Eliminate signing deer management permits over to others
3.) Go back to system where it is difficult to get 1 deer permit instead of 2.
4.) Absolutely do not implement AR... it doesn't work. There were the occasional big buck before AR in PA and now there still is the occasional big buck. In PA, too many are going home empty handed for a few trophy hunters. AR equates to GREED.
5.) Enforce stricter penalties for people who feed deer. Even those who only put out a 200 lb bag on their feeder.
6.) Mandatory jail time for poachers.
7.) More perks for landowners who do not post their lands
8.) Don't give extra doe permits to landowners for tree damage or crop depradation if that landowner has his land posted.
9.) Change the damn reporting system to postage free mail in. That stinkin' hotline is a pain in the azz.
10.) Outlaw tree stands.

If I thought some more, I could think of a few more.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

biggest problem in my area south of albany is the COMPLETE LACK OF LAW ENFORCEMENT. deer jacking starts as soon as the deer have antlers, and continues till they drop. i can't tell you how many rifle shots i hear in albany county(shotgun only) shotgun and rifle shots in 4j(bow only) and how many semi auto "muzzleloaders " ripping off 5 shot barrages during the late muzzleloader season.

phone calls fall on deaf ears.

i know 4 jerkoff kids who killed 32 bucks in less than 40 days, got caught, and not one even lost a license!! 2 of the 4 were right back doing it again this year, showing the deer off in july, august and september, and NO ONE FOLLOWED UP ANYTHING. i dont need to tell you guys what this does to a deer herd. all thier jacking is done within 10 square miles or so, no wonder we don't see squat. If i catch them, theyre getting thrown a beating like they wont forget.

and unfortunately, some of the worst culprits are the cops themselves. i have friends in LE that tell me how many deer are shot by fellow officers outta the patrol car windows, at night. just for the horns. its disgusting.

so, i dont think we need to change much, except to put some ENCON presence around a lot thicker.

my.02
-moose
Old 01-08-2005, 11:45 PM

Catt,I agree with most of your proposals except the last one.I like to hunt from a tree stand and I feel safer in one.I am less likely to get shot in my treestand than on the ground.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:36 AM

ORIGINAL: CattNY

If I was the dictator and I what I said was it, I would mandate the following changes, in order of preference:

1.) Lower the legal deer hunting age for shotgun in Southern Zone from 16 to 14.
2.) Eliminate signing deer management permits over to others
3.) Go back to system where it is difficult to get 1 deer permit instead of 2.
4.) Absolutely do not implement AR... it doesn't work. There were the occasional big buck before AR in PA and now there still is the occasional big buck. In PA, too many are going home empty handed for a few trophy hunters. AR equates to GREED.
5.) Enforce stricter penalties for people who feed deer. Even those who only put out a 200 lb bag on their feeder.
6.) Mandatory jail time for poachers.
7.) More perks for landowners who do not post their lands
8.) Don't give extra doe permits to landowners for tree damage or crop depradation if that landowner has his land posted.
9.) Change the damn reporting system to postage free mail in. That stinkin' hotline is a pain in the azz.
10.) Outlaw tree stands.

If I thought some more, I could think of a few more.
All but #10
I have used tree stands for over 20 years and there are still years I go deer less some by choice some cause I don't see em.

I really like # 8 this should be done 1st.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

definatly do not agree with #10 also why punish people that feed deer ? are you gonna go after the farmers that leave some of their crops out too ?
Old 01-10-2005, 07:23 AM

I agree maybe they shouldn't give out so many doe permits, but they should still be able to be signed over to some one. The problem is not signing over the permits it is the number of permits issued. It doesn't matter who kills the deer its the number of deer that get killed that is the issue as I see it. As for feeding deer that is already illegal in NY state and it should remain that way. There is a form of "mad cow" disease that effects deer that is present out west and NYS is trying to make sure that this doesn't happen here. I like tree stands and agree with several others in that I feel safer in my tree stand then I would on the ground. I don't think antler restriction would work.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

I like alot of your answers. I like ar's & they do work the bucks get to live past 1 1/2 . Your right in saying some of them will still get shot at that age but it's a start & maybe people will start passing up all the younger deer. If you shoot a mature doe u will know your not shooting a bb you don't have to see the buttons to tell the difference.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

Also how about using a plug in shot guns to limit them to 3 shots? Different regs. for public land. I used my muzzle;oader all gun season.

Quick Reply: NY DEER HUNTER SURVEY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.