Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY DEER HUNTER SURVEY >

NY DEER HUNTER SURVEY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY DEER HUNTER SURVEY

Old 01-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY DEER HUNTER SURVEY

because it is illegal to feed deer, now more than ever with the CWD scare - feeding deer any comercial feed was strictly outlawed a year or 2 ago
Old 01-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

If their really afraid of cwd get rid of the pet deer farms! Wouldn't a deer that was heather like 1 being fed at the hardest time of year be less likely to get a decease? Yes I know about yarding up but they do that in corn fields , apple orchards & so on.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

because it is illegal to feed deer, now more than ever with the CWD scare - feeding deer any comercial feed was strictly outlawed a year or 2 ago
I do not care for feeders on their use as hunting tool. However, I have yet to understand how hunters plant clover, brassica, alfalfa, oats, etc specifically to draw deer in (which yes I know all about the management aspect, but plots are often used to kill deer, either in route or on the field itself).

Targeting the deer, we plant those items they like, which will congregate them similar to a feeder, possibly harboring the same health problems.

I do not agree with feeder use as a hunting tool, but just have not been able to justify outlawing a feeder for purposes that a food plot does. A feeder spreads a wide pattern, and you cannot tell me a 1/4 acre clover plot is less dangerous disease wise, the deer will still be in contact with each other.

That is just personal rambling though.

However, I cannot disagree more with the initial post.
AR? ARe you kidding? lol. Yeah I want all of PA's problems right now. I would rather take a 1.5 year old buck than a 2.5 compared to suffering the way PA is now with all their issues.

If you know QDM, AR has its place, but not at the state regulation level. It should be up to the land owners. Remember, a healthy herd is the goal of the DEC, not a prime hunting herd....a healthy one. There have been no studies that I know of which correlate AR with better health. Go ahead an put AR on at the state level. Then watch your son grow tired of hunting, especially after two or three forced passes at a 4 point buck. That is a sure fire way to get the young uns involved...tell them they can only shoot big bucks. How about your dad? Tell him he can't take that 4 point buck. It just might be the last chance at a deer he has, you never know.

DMP's should still be used in their current manner, except a little more strict this year to get the herd at or around a million. We are low to that right now.

Button bucks.....use a DMP or doe tag. Forcing the use of a buck tag is a poor idea, and of all the suggestions that is the most way out there.

It is almost universal in agreement across the land that a button buck should be used under a doe tag. I cannot think of a single hunting advocate that preaches the use of a buck tag for a BB. Now, identifying a BB, that is a different story. However, you cannot always 100% identify a buck or doe.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: CattNY

If I was the dictator and I what I said was it, I would mandate the following changes, in order of preference:

1.) Lower the legal deer hunting age for shotgun in Southern Zone from 16 to 14.
Everyone, PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS!

This is the single most important thing discussed in the whole thread. NY is very conservative on the age for gun deer hunting. The majority of states offer at 14, and some at 12! Studies prove that this is safe, and it should be implemented for many reasons.

I have done a bit of research on the subject, and it is the single most important thing we as hunters should push for in the state after the proposed season changes(either for or against).
Old 01-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congregating the deer is part of the problem, but the main thing they are trying to stop is the potential transfer of a disease through the feed. Many/most manufactured feed has animal byproducts. Those byproducts can be the source of the disease (ie - infected animal is killed and its parts put into the feed, deer eats feed, .......). That is the main reason for the feeding ban. Now corn grain and other natural feed, obviously doesn't have animal byproduct, but it is banned nontheless.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with no feeders but I don't see anything wrong with planting some food for deer also I CAN'T AGREE MORE WITH DROPPING THE AGE DOWN TO 14 I 've got a 10 year old that loves to go hunting with me I am looking forward to the day he gets his first
Old 01-12-2005, 07:25 PM

I don't agree with implementing an antler restriction. That is your own personal preference to shoot a buck with nice head gear. There are many people that hunt primarily for the venison. I know many people who rely on that meat to feed their families. Why penalize them? If you are concerned about shooting quality bucks, I would suggest joining or forming a club with like minded hunters and managing the land for quality bucks. The other option would be to travel to other hunting areas within the state that are known to produce quality bucks, but that would require more work and dedication on your end.

The one thing I would like to see get changed is the season in the Northern Zone. I would like to see Archery season start around the middle of October followed by a week of Black Powder and then start the regular rifle season the first weekend in November and run it through the middle of December. Basically, pushing all the seasons back a couple of weeks. Most of the time it is just to warm the first part of October and the deer hunting just plain sucks.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

This post reminds us how difficult it is for a state to set hunting regulations and keep us all happy (we are one big happy family...........right?)

I'll stick with the 4 original listings as posted - and not inject my veiws:

1- I would like to see antler restrictions.................................. - No - not mandated ones though I applaud grass roots, voluntary efforts.

2- If u shoot a button buck it goes on your buck tag............................... - Definitely not - when you consider mortality of fawns - and buck dispersal later on - the BB take is small potatoes. A law like this would only punish those trying to help keep the population in check by legally taking a doe.

3- Get rid of signing your doe take over.................... - No - If the state decides the 2679 does must go in Unit 7F - why should it matter who fills the tags?

4-No season just for muzzleloaders ......................- No - Blackpowder hunters basically don't have a season now. I know My wife loves it when I go hunting the week before Christmas - after I've hunted the last 10 weeks!!!!!!!!

A doe season for blackpowder is a great idea - though I do not think it should be in the MIDDLE of bow season.

5. - OK _ I LIED - I'll inject one other veiw. TOO MANY hunters break the laws regarding doe tags (using another unit tag), Tagging a buck with "the wife's tag", etc. Its common knowledge in many areas that this stuff goes on. I wish the state would take some of the extra monies brought in - and invest it in law enforcement - and educational programs - with the youth - try to change the ignorant, lawlessness attitudes in soooo many rural places in this state!
Old 01-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

right on board with you
Old 01-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Spike

#10 ?? WHY OUTLAW TREESTANDS?

Quick Reply: NY DEER HUNTER SURVEY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.