Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Mountain lions, in PA or NY? >

Mountain lions, in PA or NY?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mountain lions, in PA or NY?

Old 02-28-2005, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mountain lions, in PA or NY?

I AM COUGARDAVILLE! YOU REALLY NEED TO GET A LIFE, & SOME MANNERS!
LOL. I have all the manners I need. Is it ill-mannered to point out it's easy to use multiple usernames on an internet message board? I don't think so.To be honest I don't think your given name is Cougardaville is it?

If you have a picture post it. I've seen these typed so many times and have never seen the picture from the person.

If you have proof the DEC released Cougars with out the public knowledge post it.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:04 PM

Update, I spoke to my father recently, and he told me that the mt. lion shot in NY had a tag from Idaho! Apparently, the person had purchased this animal from either the DNR or their game commission.The tag was inside the ear of the animal. The person who owned this animal, apparently, dumped the cat off somewhere, and was eventually shot. Got no pic's, or proof, but that is what he was told through the Conservation club that he belong's too. So the story goes.............

PS: They are currently trying to track down this person. They have the info from the ear tag!!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:44 PM

Turkeyhunter1, is this the one that was shot around the gowanda, collins area that I heard about?
Old 02-28-2005, 04:28 PM

NY, I'm not sure if this is the location of the kill. I'll try for more info! So the story continues...
Old 03-03-2005, 08:51 AM

HOLY COW.

I got an email this morning from my dad about a cat being shot in Bath, NY 200 lbs, attacking a farmer's cows. But I work in Hornell and Corning, and have heard nothing about this, unless it happened last night.

I found interesting the jump on the Conservationist for being New. The only reason I found this thread was because I was trying to find out any information on this possible kill so close to me. Most of the time I find that the people who have the most threads thinks that this makes them wiser, huh? You are saying that because you spend more time on the computer message boards than me that you are more knowledgeable about a subject or hunting than the guy who spends his days working in the woods?

I don't think that it is unlikely there are Cats around, but has anyone seen tracks even? Especially with a range of 100 miles? They never cross a road, snowmobile trail, yard or field? I never run them or see tracks when hunting coons in Allegany county, or when I go to hunts, I never hear about any of my friends running into or across tracks, and show me the Walker or Black and Tan that wouldn't run a cougar, but they'll run a bear? And oh yeah, my cousin is a logger and I have a neighbor that is a timber buyer, definitely spending time in the woods, both AVID hunters, yet never crossed a track, I say hmmmm?

I think 10-12 is a possibility, but at that it might be high. Are there instances when the DEC hides information, absolutely it's the government, they think they get to decide what we can handle. An instance of this is a good friend of mine's son, shot a nice 8 point buck in the Cuba area with a tracking collar. Well the collar had worn the deers hide off, and was infecting the deer, and would have eventually killed it. This guy takes it to the DEC and wants another tag, but wants his rack. DEC says no, you either keep both or neither, and the guy says fine, I'll go show it around, DEC backs down, and guy gets his rack, AND a new tag, and no-one ever really hears more about it. Just one instance.

I just don't know, but will be glad the day I see one. I have shot two bears behind my house, one with a shotgun, and a P&Y with the bow. I saw a cub this year, and tracks of a damn big bear. I hunt my butt off, and have yet to see sign of a Cat but in the same sense would respectfully welcome it. Not that I want a Cat around killing all the deer, just be neat to see.

I'm done.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:31 AM

Paw Shot

Old 03-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice try.

www.snopes.com

welcome to the boards!
-moose
Old 03-03-2005, 03:59 PM

Default RE: Mountain lions, in PA or NY?( in reply to stupidmaid)

NICE CAT!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

here's the story. It is a HECK of a cat!!! Taken from snopes-----

Claim: Photograph shows a large mountain lion killed by a deer hunter in Kansas.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2003]

Mountain lion was shot near Leon, KS.

This guy is a friend of one of the Maint. guys at Boeing. He was going deer hunting when he heard his neighbors cows making noise. He discovered this cat attacking some calves.

He shot and reportedly the cat jumped eight feet into the air, ran about 100 yards and died. The man in the picture is over 6 feet tall and the cat weighed over 200 pounds.

Origins: This item is another mixed-status case in which the photograph displayed is genuine, but the text accompanying it in e-mail forwards is inaccurate.

Multiple variations of this message have been circulated, usually with the same base claim (a deer hunter is alerted by noise and discovers a large mountain lion attacking livestock) but with different settings — the deer hunter is said to have stumbled across the big cat "10 miles North of Harrisburg, PA," "near Stover, Missouri," or in Alabama, Montana, Pennsylvania, Texas, or Wyoming (in addition to the Leon, Kansas, citing in the version reproduced above).

According to a news release from the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP), this picture appeared in the Fall 2003 issue of Fair Chase magazine (a Boone and Crockett Club publication dedicated to hunting and conservation of North American big game) and actually depicts a mountain lion taken near Seattle, Washington:
"The circulated photograph was actually featured in the fall issue of the Boone and Crockett Club's magazine, Fair Chase," says KDWP Information and Education Section Chief Bob Mathews. "The lion had been taken earlier in the year within an hour's drive of Seattle, Washington."

This email hoax first began when it was said to have been taken near Harrisburg, Penn., according to Boone and Crockett's magazine. Since then, the KDWP website feedback email has received dozens of messages claiming it was taken in Alabama, Montana, Texas, and Wyoming, as well as Leon.

"Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned here," Mathews adds. "Folks should check dubious email stories out before passing them around."
The Trophy Watch section of the Boone and Crockett Club's web site and a thread posted on the message board of the 24 Hour Campfire web site by Jim Hackewitz, one of the men who participated in the hunt, provided additional information about the mountain lion — it was taken by Roy Hisler of Duval, Washington, in the central Cascades near Bellevue, Washington, on 22 December 2002; it weighed 190 pounds; and Jim Hackewitz, who is pictured holding it, is 5'10" tall:
Well here is an exceptional lion killed using a predator call this afternoon. We actually took him home whole and weighed him at the fish Hatchery scale in town, he was 190 pounds. The Skull is 15-12/16 which makes him tied with 5 others skulls for 6th place over all.

Shot with a 30/06 and 165 grain bullet one time!
Last updated: 9 January 2005
Old 04-30-2005, 02:02 PM

OK, I told myself I wasn't going to join in this thread and I've been following it since the very beginnning. Now, I feel that I have to contribute my story because of new developments...

Last year when I was at my parents home I was looking out the window at the neighboring farm field. I saw something moving thru the weeds just below the neighbors house. It was light brown in color and had a long tail. It moved like a cat and slinked its way down thru the field and into the woods. I couldn't believe my eyes. NO WAY! It could not be a cougar! I would swear on a stack of Bibles that it was a cougar. I told my family what I was sure I saw and I'm sure everyone thought I was crazy. When I hunted down there during the winter I looked for tracks or scat but never saw anything that could prove what I saw. Well, today I talked with my brother who was down on the farm hunting turkey. Turns out the neighbor who owns the farm says he saw what he called a 'puma' about a month ago. He said that he went down to the barn to do something and when he stepped into the doorway he heard growling. Apparently he startled the cat. Needless to say, he backed out of there and left the scene. Of course without a weapon I'm sure you would leave the scene too.

I never doubted what I saw. The body was bigger than a dog and the tail appeared to be about 4 to 5 feet long. And what really caught my attention was the way it 'slinked' its way thru the grass - just like a cat. There's no way it was a dog or coyote as it was too big and the tail was too long. So now you are wondering where I seen this cougar... western Allegheny Co. near the Washington County line! It is there and I would guess that it is a cast-off - someone must have released it into the wild when they couldn't handle it any longer. You can choose not to believe me if you like. All I know is what I saw. And when someone else seen it when they were never told about my possible sighting then I feel it is for real.

So..... I was planning on turkey hunting there this coming week. Now I wonder if I should. But I do have to admit that I want to go there and see if I can find some proof. I do have a game cam but I'm not sure I want to put it there only to lose it to another hunter.

By the way, my brother shot a coyote there today. He hit it twice but he lost the trail. I will look for it next week if I get down there.

Quick Reply: Mountain lions, in PA or NY?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.