Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 What has happened to Traditional PA Deer Hunting ? >

What has happened to Traditional PA Deer Hunting ?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

What has happened to Traditional PA Deer Hunting ?

Old 12-29-2004, 09:33 AM

Default What has happened to Traditional PA Deer Hunting ?

Why does deer hunting need to change so much in PA?

Some hunters use food plots like bait - [:'(]

Some hunters want to use in-lines instead of a traditional flintlock - [:'(]

Some hunters want to use ATVs instead of walking - [:'(]

Some hunters want to use semi-autos and autos for hunting deer - [:'(]

Some hunters want to hunt on Sundays - [:'(]

Some hunters want to hunt both doe and buck at the same time - [:'(]]

I know there are probably more changes that I missed or overlooked, just add them to the list.

What is happening to the tradition that I and many others have been brought up on?

I am saddened by how much change is happening to our great Traditional Deer Hunting in PA.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What has happened to Traditional PA Deer Hunting ?

join the crowd!
you missed, multiple doe tags
In a nut shell Dr. Gary Alt happened to it when he went to bed with the timber companies and the Audobon rather than those hunters that supported him and the PGC
Old 12-29-2004, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just because something is a tradition don't make it right or good. PA is like the oddball 3rd cousin of hunting states.
Things change in life as time passes on. If you don't get used to it you will become bitter old men...oops too late for that.
What's the difference between a food plot and an apple tree or an oak tree.
What's wrong with using newer technology in a season where that is a viable option
Well I don't like ATV's but that is just the general laziness of america and not cornered solely to hunters.
Many states use semi autos for deer. What's the big deal. Why can't a person use one gun to plink and hunt?
Well when most people are forced to work 5-6 days a week, they'd still like to get out and hunt.
I don't know how the world didn't end when that one came about.....bucks AND does being able to be shot in the same season.....Maybe there should be a spike season, a 4 pt season, 6 pt season etc....

Some things I am happy about busting tradition
Does held as sacred animals and feeling that they are not worthy to be shot compared to that 3.5" spike buck
Shooting any and every buck you see cause that makes you such a man to say you got YOUR buck
Shooting 90% of bucks before they have any chance to grow at all.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:46 AM

WENT TO TEXAS AN HUNTING A PROPERTY THAT YOU CAN'T KILL A DEER UNDER AN 8 POINT WHAT WOULD YOU SPIKE KILLS DO THEN
Old 12-29-2004, 10:59 AM

Many states use shotguns only and have split 1 week gun seasons, some have only a 3 day shotgun season still others have all deer tags on a draw lotto res. or non res.. What's wrong with those ideas?
Seems to me that everyone wants good hunting as long as it doesn't change their hunting style. WB
Old 12-29-2004, 11:37 AM

Simple.

Pa's version of "traditional hunting" was sold out to special interest groups that matter more to the Penna Game Commission than traditional hunters and thier families.

Pa is a state manged for timber and ecotourism now, and no one is going to get in the way of that revenue.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll tell you what happened... innovation, dipping license sales, laziness, old age.

Next year, license sales may, for the first time in ages, dip below 1 Million. People are getting old, quitting and dying. PGC is grabbing at straws trying to cut its losses. Increased success rates make repeat-license buyers. In-lines generate muzzle-loader stamp sales. Sunday hunting doubles the number of days in the woods for weekend warriors.

Food plots and ATV's have become the lazy man's tools.

We may not like it, but the status quo is probably here to stay. In the future, expect to see increasing heat for Sunday hunting, crossbows, late season in-lines, more youth hunts, etc.

Money talks, and in Pennsylvania, it's screaming.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

I predict that in the next 5 years you'll see a back tag as your general lisc. then you'll purchase different stamps to hunt: archery deer,gun deer,mz deer,blk bear,pheasants,spring turkey, fall turkey, fur takers,etc.
we'll also see expanded shotgun only deer hunting areas, a youth only gun deer day,a youth only fall turkey day.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:41 PM

Does held as sacred animals and feeling that they are not worthy to be shot compared to that 3.5" spike buck
Just what do you think Alt's AR / HR plan has done ? It has created a whole new generation of hunters that want to protect the doe so they have a better chance of harvesting a 2.5+ buck. Instead of elevating the status of harvesting a doe as Alt claimed he would do ,he elevated the status of harvesting a 2.5 buck and made a doe the consolation prize for those that hunt the SGL's and 2 G.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some hunters want to hunt on Sundays
I still can't figure out why people don't want to be able to hunt on Sunday.

Quick Reply: What has happened to Traditional PA Deer Hunting ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.