Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 What has happened to Traditional PA Deer Hunting ? >

What has happened to Traditional PA Deer Hunting ?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

What has happened to Traditional PA Deer Hunting ?

Old 12-29-2004, 02:29 PM

Default RE: What has happened to Traditional PA Deer Hunting ?

Allstate ins co , tired of paying out premiums for cars ruined by deer , imported 15 packs of wolves and 13 packs of coyotes
Old 12-29-2004, 02:58 PM

Old ways die hard...200 years ago...
these are exactly what I heard when they challanged the Constitution of the US, also by the man that wanted to take God out of the Pledge of Allegence, The anti Christmas groups that want the Nativity scene to come down so they can put up who knows what.
I thank God the old ways are dying hard also that young people open their eyes and ears before their mouths.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:07 PM

Rob/Pa : why would you stereo type all rifle hunters? trust me I know plenty of archers I wouldn't want to be the poster child of archery hunting. Guys that buy a bow in late September an have every accessory mounted it on it that the manufactors have hyped as the latest gizmo to get you a "Monster Whitetail". guys that drive around in 4x4 PT with 10" lifter kits and Team Real Tree decals across the windows, hauling an ATV in the bed with a trailer towed along full of equipment to plant Buck Forage Oats, guys that preach no deer is a "quality deer" less he makes P&Y, guys that gut shoot a couple does with the newest expandable BH cause they don't shoot their bows more than 6 shots from one season to the next.
Think they aren't out there???? Better look a little closer!
Old 12-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I surely miss the traditional way of hunting here in PA. It didn't affect archery any, but gun hunting just doesn't feel like "opening day" anymore. I honestly only spent 4 days in the woods during gun season opposed to approx 2 weeks in archery. I just didn't have the desire this year to tote the gun around.

As for Sunday hunting, I have mixed feelings. I would like to see it in one way, but not in another. Give the poor damn deer a rest. We are already allowed to chase them for 6 days a week for almost 3 months. Maybe I'm just too sensitive about what the deer go through. I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but I also don't feel that gun season needs Sundays. Most hunters take most of their vacation for that time of year and if you can't kill a deer in the already alloted time, well....... On the other hand, giving archers the additional day might work. Most people whom hunt with a bow only get a Saturday a week to hunt. I'm trying not to sound partial to bowhunters either. I'm not.

Don't get me wrong, hunting in PA did need some changes done, but the concurrent season was stupid IMO. Here's something I thought about too. With the brown and down mentality that is being instated. What is that teaching young hunters? Surely not selection and patience. Not to mention it poses potential safety issues. I've already heard of some hair raising stories of youngsters blazing away at "brown".

I like the AR, that works. But this "overhunting" of a lot of areas can't be benificial to anyone except maybe someone's pockets.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some hunters use food plots like bait -

Some hunters want to use in-lines instead of a traditional flintlock -

Some hunters want to use ATVs instead of walking -

Some hunters want to use semi-autos and autos for hunting deer -

Some hunters want to hunt on Sundays -

Some hunters want to hunt both doe and buck at the same time - ]
Food plots like bait? Personally I dont hunt food plots but why is that different than sitting next to an apple tree, a cornfield or even a white oak?

Inlines instead of flintlocks? They have seperate seasons. Wheres the problem?

ATV's instead of walking? I agree except maybe for the disabled.

Semi autos and autos for deer? Who says they want that?

Sunday hunting? You betcha. And unless you never go to the grocery store, Walmart, restaraunt on Sunday, that one may be a bit hypocritical. If, on the other hand, you don't do those things on Sunday, I respect your beliefs.

Buck and doe at the same time? You betcha again! Works in almost every other state and can work here. (needs some tweaking)

Hunter numbers have been declining over the last decades and lack of time to hunt is a problem that concurrent seasons and Sunday hunting can help alleviate this one.

Some traditions need to fade away even though some of us will miss them. I personally miss the big event that once was opening day but the world is changing and sometimes we need to accept that it does so in spite of our wishes.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

yeah let's have Sunday hunting but only for the group that BT wants it for...archers . That makes real sound management sense

I thought the PGC managed for the resource first ( the game animals) and used the hunters as a tool in that management. How did some of you get such warpped ideas that the PGC was in place to satisfy any whim some special interest groups,i.e. archers, can dream up??????????????????????
How's the Ill. scam shaping up, got any pigeons on the hook ?
Old 12-29-2004, 07:58 PM

Ulysses, I do beleive that Muzzy suggested the Sunday hunting for archers not BT. Give it a break, your making yourself look bad.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't get me wrong, hunting in PA did need some changes done, but the concurrent season was stupid IMO. Here's something I thought about too. With the brown and down mentality that is being instated. What is that teaching young hunters? Surely not selection and patience. Not to mention it poses potential safety issues. I've already heard of some hair raising stories of youngsters blazing away at "brown".
Maybe there are a few out there that adopt the brown is down attitude but, IMHO, wasn't that always a problem in the seperate doe season? Since the odds of a buck making it past rifle season were so slim, hearing the statement brown is down was way more common in the old doe season than it seems to be now.

I know with my two sons, they have had to learn right off that even when their quarry is a doe, they have to make sure it doesnt have little spikes hidden behind those ears. In the early youth doe season, I watched my 12 year old let a doe walk because he couldn't be absolutely sure it wasnt a small buck. (woulda been his first deer) I was more proud of the shot he didnt take than if he'd have made the shot without being 100% sure.

Of course, any young hunters attitude is greatly influenced by his parent/uncle/grandfather/guardian and an adult with the brown is down attitude will surely foster the same in the kid he takes out there.

( oh yeah, the kids patience was eventually rewarded a few weeks later)
Old 12-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: wingbar

Rob/Pa : why would you stereo type all rifle hunters? trust me I know plenty of archers I wouldn't want to be the poster child of archery hunting. Guys that buy a bow in late September an have every accessory mounted it on it that the manufactors have hyped as the latest gizmo to get you a "Monster Whitetail". guys that drive around in 4x4 PT with 10" lifter kits and Team Real Tree decals across the windows, hauling an ATV in the bed with a trailer towed along full of equipment to plant Buck Forage Oats, guys that preach no deer is a "quality deer" less he makes P&Y, guys that gut shoot a couple does with the newest expandable BH cause they don't shoot their bows more than 6 shots from one season to the next.
Think they aren't out there???? Better look a little closer!
Sure they are out there but not in the shear numbers that the orange clad ones are...dusting off the rifle from last year and assuming it's on and slinging lead across the field at running deer and if they don't fall, not inspecting to see if they hit one cause they must have missed, they didn't fall....there are slobs in every sport, class, state blah blah but the sea of orange doesn't happen in archery season and I don't hear lead zinging over my head not to mention the richocet I took in my lower back one year. Not to mention all the 3 legged deer I see post season and the ones I find with jaws shot off.......yeah I take a rifle for a walk if I hadn't filled my tags in archery season but it's to patrol the property for orange trespassers and a possible coyote.

Yeah there are good, decent rifle hunters but you know what, in my 22 years of hunting, they are the minority....when the lead flies, the golden testicals on those bucks make it dangerous to be in the woods. Between the fights over deer, spots, etc.....I'll take to the trees in my camo when the deer are natural and the slobs (majority) aren't out in force. Yeah I'm soured but it's the experience that's brought me to that state and reading all the whining about rifle seasons here in these forums don't help.

I'm not anti rifle hunter but it wouldn't be hard to be one.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ulysses, yes, it was me who suggested the Sunday for archers. What is so unsound about that? Yes, I do realize the tension it would create with the guys who just hunt with a gun and it does look biased. But it was not intended to be.

My point is this. Most people don't have much trouble filling a tag during gun season in the current scheme, or in the previous seperate season setup. So why allow Sunday hunting? Give the poor deer a rest. On the other fence; most bowhunters only get weekends to hunt with a bow. Thats one day a week, six days out of the year. Why not allow them to hunt Sundays too?

BTbowhunter, thank goodness for fathers like yourself. There are a lot like you out there, but a lot more that aren't.

I agree with Rob/PA Bowyer, I am partial to bowhunting and don't care too much about gun season. I am fortunate to hunt private property and don't have to deal with the gameland crowds at all, but I don't envy any of them. But come first day of gun season and the woods look like a pumpkin patch. How is that hunting?

Quick Reply: What has happened to Traditional PA Deer Hunting ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.