Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

hunters poll

Old 12-15-2004, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hunters poll

Definitely not someone's pet. Pets are just like family to me and most people regardless of what type. I have heard of people tieing collars on wounded animals (not life threatening) to give them a chance of survival. I look at it like this, someone wanted to protect this deer for whatever reason, so I'll do my part and respect that person. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:29 AM

DOES A TAME DEER TASTE AS GOOD AS A WILD DEER IF SO ITS HITTING THE TABLE..... UMMMMM
Old 12-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Fair chase should be the deciding factor. Kind of like the guy who feeds deer in his back yard all year to tame them and shoots one through the window of his house once the season arrives. That is not hunting and neither is shooting a deer with a bandana on. It isn't the killing it is the hunt that makes it special.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, if I knew it was tame I probably wouldn't shoot it. Where I hunt if there is a tame deer it won't last long as it's all public hunting land...ANF. Now, the PGC puts radio collars on deer in the study areas for the antler study.....they encourage you to shoot them....if a collared pet deer got loose in these areas it would be an honest mistake to shoot one I would think.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

I would think if someone went to the trouble of putting a collar on a deer to identify it as being a pet, that the considerate thing to do would be to respect their wishes and not shoot the pet deer.

Although it is legal to, shooting it would just cause hard feelings for someone. Just my two cents.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Dominant Buck

ditto Rick C. Great way to think.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:55 AM

Tame ??? do you mean like the ones on those BIG TEXAS outfitters that all of the famous expert hunters shoot footage of their hunts on. The ones that the owner can ring the dinner bell and about 60 sixteen points come running in ???

But seriously though, if a deer had a bandanna around it's kneck, I wouldn't shoot it.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Hunting really is different for everyone. That’s the nice part about it. I personally don’t find sitting in a heated box stand over bait much of a challenge. I know that in the south that is an accepted way to hunt and I respect that. Up here in the North Country more effort is placed on still hunting and tracking than stand hunting. Unfortunately with all the TV shows the box stand bait station type hunt is catching on due to the coverage and the slammers that they harvest. I guess it is important to hunt in any way you feel ethical. My choice is to track them down. Not as productive but rewarding when you finally catch up to one.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:08 AM

Depends on if was a big buck or not