Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Jersey shotgunners >

Jersey shotgunners

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Jersey shotgunners

Old 12-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Jersey shotgunners

The morning looked promising and then we had a blizzard at 10.30am up in Zone 2. I had a small group come by at 6.40am but couldnt make them out although another member was walking in at 6.55am and saw a buck but missed. Saw another round of 5 does with a broken horn and a small 4pt. Neither really offered good shots but I was not really into taking them. Saw a handful of small does/buttons and then sat from 2--4.30pm without a thing in the freezing rain.

Our club took 4 bucks and someone missed a monster. The guy's scope broke during practice yesterday so he put another one on but had to bore sight last night. Missed a big 10pt at 35yds!

I was a little disappointed as it was fairly quiet and the weather was crap from 10.30am on.

See ya. SAT

Bob
Old 12-06-2004, 08:38 PM

wow how do you miss at 35 yds i would have taken the scope off
Old 12-07-2004, 06:04 AM

Yeah... I know. My scope has the "see thru/under" mounts. Worse case scenario... I just use the irons.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:06 AM
Spike

Sat all day in zone 2 with my father in law and his buddy. My father-in-law took a nice 7pt. with an 18 in spread at 6:45. I saw about 30 does all day and NO bucks, go figure. Then the other guy took is muzzelloader cause he wanted to shoot a doe if he didn't see a buck. Says in he digest you can shoot does in with the muzzleloader. so he ends up shooting a doe, so they both go to the check station and when he get there they took the doe from him saying it was an illegal deer and that is was a mistake in the digest. He had a permit and they said to bad. How backwards is that? Whats this state coming too.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a total of 31 deer, the last deer came within 80yds at dusk chasing and grunting at 4 does, my friend called me on radio and said he was heading towards me, but also told me he was just over the 3" mark, but he never gave me a shot. Most of the deer came within bow range 20yds or less.

My friend sammy saw 15 deer all bald

My friend sean saw just under 30, one was either a 8 pointer or 10 pointer but was just over 100yds from him, but within 20yds of my old bow stand

My best friend AJ saw just as many deer as I did, he also saw a big 6 pointer that he said was in 170lb range, with a wide rack, I was told by a friend that hunts, and lives in that area that he saw this deer about 2 weeks ago near the area we park.....AJ took the shot but missed, it was an 80yd shot

We saw deer all day, even with the snow storm. There wasnt much shooting goin on in our area. We didnt see no bears.......anyone see bears?

I moved my stand during the late extended bow season, everytime I hunted it so far I could of had a kill, next week is the permit shotgun season, my luck I wont see a thing, LOL!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

The State was posted on Rt 565N and was pulling guys over to check licenses and gun plugs in the morning.

As for the guy missing, he bought a brand new Leupold VARX 2 and the side adjustment blew out after 3 shots. He went to Ramsey Outdoor and returned the scope for another one but had to bore sight. THe bad part was that the scope was see thru and he could have brought a muzzloader. He called it the deer of a lifetime!

Good luck.
Bob
Old 12-07-2004, 07:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Broadhead88

The morning looked promising and then we had a blizzard at 10.30am up in Zone 2. I had a small group come by at 6.40am but couldnt make them out although another member was walking in at 6.55am and saw a buck but missed. Saw another round of 5 does with a broken horn and a small 4pt. Neither really offered good shots but I was not really into taking them. Saw a handful of small does/buttons and then sat from 2--4.30pm without a thing in the freezing rain.

Our club took 4 bucks and someone missed a monster. The guy's scope broke during practice yesterday so he put another one on but had to bore sight last night. Missed a big 10pt at 35yds!

I was a little disappointed as it was fairly quiet and the weather was crap from 10.30am on.

See ya. SAT

Bob
The weather situation on my side of the farm was the same!!!! The morning was beautiful until the snow started. We still got Saturday. I only saw one deer in the afternoon. Days like Mon. and the stand situations makes me more committed to purchasing my own hunting property!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:54 AM

They posted the update on 12/2:

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/new...orrect04-1.htm

Permit Muzzleloader Deer Season Corrections in DIGEST for Regulations Sets 4 & 6 During Six-Day Firearm Season for Deer December 6-11, 2004
December 2, 2004
Deer hunters should note that there are errors regarding Regulation Set #4 (page 30) and Regulation Set #6 (page 31) of the New Jersey Fish and Wildlife Digest, Hunting Season Issue.

Regarding Regulation Set #4 (Zones 2, 16, 22, 26, 27, 28, 29, 31, 35, 47 and 63), the Permit Muzzleloader Season for deer is NOT open during the Six-day Firearm Season, December 6-11, 2004. Though a hunter may use his or her muzzleloader to harvest an antlered deer that week, their muzzleloader permit is not valid during that time. As a result, no antlerless deer may be taken.

Regarding Regulation Set #6 (Zones 5, 17, 19, 25, 42 and 48), during the Six-day Firearm Season December 6-11, 2004, only antlerless deer may be taken with a muzzleloader permit (since the seasons run concurrently). However, antlered deer may be taken with a muzzleloader during that week and tagged with the firearm season license tag and buck stub.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

I ended up taking 2 does..
Old 12-07-2004, 08:55 AM

Wow Joe, that is a whole days work at the check station near me.

My day started off good. Got to my parking spot a little late in zone 28, two trucks were already there. Of course they had to walk right passed my No Tresspassing signs to get into the woods, so I knew this would be an easy ticket. Heard one shoot at 7:02am, rounded him and his buddy up, but then another shot rang out on the property at 7:50am. Got the information of the two guys and went looking for the next "hunter". Never found him. I think he was with that group and they had radios. I did see a limpy doe though. Wish I could have shot her to end her suffering, but it's not legal in my zone to shoot does this week. Went back to have breakfast with my dad, but before I could, I got a call about a green minibus doing the drop-off on our property in Alloway. So, I shoot out there and see them stopped at the corner of our land. They were all in the bus, don't know if they were getting ready to start, or had just finished the drive, but I let them know they needed to stay clear of the land. A couple of smart mouths in the bus didn't like that, so I followed them for a little bit to make sure they were gone. Then, I hear a shot on the ground, so I parked in the neighbors driveway and waited. Sure enough, same guy from down the street I busted there last year comes out with his cousin, again. I put more paper on them and asked what happened to the deer. They said it was a miss.

At noon, I walked the property line for my brother on his lease in zone 28. Found where someone had dragged something across the line, so I backtracked to a stand, then found a huge trail cut to another stand. There was no blood in the area, but very fresh bait so I'm guessing they had just finished baiting their stand on my brothers property. Took the stands down and left them at the base of the tree with a note advising they remove them.

Had lunch, talked to the biologist at the check station for a while then went back out, but didn't "bag" anyone in the afternoon.

Ahh yes, I just love buck week in NJ.

Quick Reply: Jersey shotgunners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.