Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Filled the freezer - Got Moose! >

Filled the freezer - Got Moose!

Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Filled the freezer - Got Moose!

Old 10-12-2004, 12:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Filled the freezer - Got Moose!

Weird hunt started with struggling to make zero while scouting (Saturday/Sunday), some light snow, driving wind and then all silent. Heavy moisture during late summer and early fall forced me to revamp slightly on where I wanted to embark on the hunt opening day (monday). Monday morning found me on a lakeshore hoping to envoke or spot moose. After the first cow call I got a response from a bull a ways off, then as luck would have it the wind kicked up. It was so bad a young 2 year old bull snuck right in on me while directing my calls to the area where I received the response. I managed to stop the young bull just inside the willows but decided to pass for a couple of reasons. I decided due to wind a early bite and hope the wind might die down would be the best option. As i made my way back to the quad I spotted a cow/calf pair angle into a pine blow down. I decided that a bite was now out of the question and returned to my call point. I watched the cow/calf pair feed along the lakeshore for close to 2 hours, while legal I was hopeful this cow might bring a bull to the area. That evening the wind finally slowed and I was able to call but never got a response. Tuesday wrong wind so we worked tandem and my partner took a nice 2 year old bull that was curiously checking out the calling I was doing. Dealing with a downed moose and wrong wind made me opt for a early easy night. Wedsnday morning same thing wrong wind, but at 10:00 it switched to a favorable direction my partner and I were back to the lake I had received a call from opening day. At 1:00 I started calling both cow and bull which turned out to be a bit of mistake as a smaller bull came out but quickly vanished into the thick pines. At 2:30 a cow/calf pair showed up feeding in a small bay, they were shortly joined by a decent bull 40+", failed attempts to lure the bull from this cow and I decided to try a stalk. Being wind in my favour and time I figured it may be possible. I stalked to well within range but as usual one never see's the willows that may impeded a bullets path until in the thick of them, while I could have shot the cow the bull was nicely tucked behind willows on the lake edge just tending to this cow. I decided to try and challenge this bull, in hopes of being in his space would bring him to a shotable location...but of course I needed to move slightly to increase these odds. I got in position and just settled when the cow spotted me and busted...the bull likewise. Another foiled attempt to fill my tag, I tried calling but never heard anything but the crashing of animals on the move. Dejected I headed back to the call point, it was now 5:30pm when I returned. With the wind still blowing and my partner saying could you hear me calling(which I did not), I figured it maybe just a good idea to sit and watch being only 90 mins or so of legal. No sooner had those thoughts escaped me did the wind turn off like a light switch. Ok lets give her a go, first cow call session a response from the opposite side of the lake and another cow call again response he was closing on us. He's coming I said to my pard we might still get a crack, no sooner did I mouth the words and he appeared across the lake. Kept on him with the cow calls, he was committed, galloping, grunting and stopping every 50 or so yards to try to pinpoint the lady in heat. As he got within range I cow called lower into the ground and he finally rounded the willows it put him approx 100 yards I figured good enough for the 7 rem mag and directed one short call towards the lake which turned him perfectly and I sent a bullet into his lungs. He lunged, spun and my partner gave him another call plus I gave him one more Accubond in the heart as headed towards the thick willows on the lakes edge which put him in a quick nose dive and he was down for good. While the second shot was not required and I knew he was hit true I didn't want to deal with a chainsaw if he got to high in the brush/blow downs. Not the biggest bull but heading to this area which was the last zone we picked on our draw apps we were not expecting much in horn size or any moose for that matter. Any moose is good moose we have a winter to enjoy the experience's and eats. Watching and hearing this bull come around the lake. I still see him puffed out, snot rolling and eagerly looking for the hot cow...another awesome hunting memory/experience.

Sorry to blow on but I love hearing stories, so though I'd share.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Filled the freezer - Got Moose!

Hey congrats Skeeter! That's a nice looking bull.
The weather sure was weird this year wasn't it. We had wind for the later half of our week except it didn't die down in the evenings. Gusts up to 60-70 KPH.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:54 AM

Congrats on the bull skeeter, sounds like you fellas had alot of action. If you don't mind me asking what zone were you guys in?
Old 10-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats skeeter sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for sharing the storie and pic.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Well done Skeeter! Looks like the winter will be filled with moose steaks and sausage.
p.s. don't ever apologize about the rant, it's what were all here for nothing like hearing the stories of others and playing them out in our minds as we sit at work and daydream about going afield again.
Congrats again! JDinAB
Old 10-12-2004, 10:31 PM

Congrats..

I head out Wed. for Rifle...never got a shot in archery but did manage to call in 4. Hopefully the BIG ones will still come to call....

Weather has been VERY frustrating for me to say the least.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. Yes weather the factor we can never control but wish we could. I don't mind cold or wet, don't really care for warm shots but can get around them...it's that flippin wind and weird winds that really screws a guy!

Hiawatha, we were in WMZ 63. I spend time scouting on quad this summer and pouring over maps trying to pinpoint areas to hunt. Like I said it wasn't our 1st choice but had to make due and it turned out pretty well.

JD, thanks bud and sorry to hear about your Mulie woes. Hopefully you can arrow one yet or stick some of those bothersome JUMPER!

Good Luck Corey I think you maybe ok in the regular, from what I have heard they really lit on the weekend in pockets, so it may bode well for the cruising bulls in good areas for sure. I said from the onset the regular season of bulls only might backfire on the DNR hopes of limiting the impact on moose this year. I remember a number of years ago regular early seasons and while some didn't get many got a lot if they could read area and how to setup bulls to calling. I figure where we hunted we were pretty close to the peak but the warmer weather may have had enough of impact to string it out right to the OTC season. I am out of the draw for a good 5 years, so would be interested in hearing how you or any others you know make out with regards regular and/or calling. I most likely will go back to the bow for moose until the super A status returns if they don't dick more with the archery season but always good to have back up plans. BTW did you find the moose hanging up in archery and quiet? My annual archery crew in the west part of the province said they found the bulls to be slippin in quietly or if the called hanging in heavy cover offering no shots. They said a bull grunt was a death of the bull coming, which is not like other years where bull grunts makes up most of are calling during the pre rut or onset of rut. Just curious.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:37 AM

All the Moose that came in were almost undetectable. There was a little wind so they came in downwind and suspect that they winded me.

If we still had Cow tags in archery I would have tagged out first morning because a Cow came in and stood broadside about 35 yards away I am not sure if it was calf or what but there was another Moose with her. I am guessing that because it was about 75 yards further back in swamp it was an imature bull that was bothering/following her??

I did manage to call a small bull in to about 150 yards but he must have scented me or got scared by too loud of call cause he just decided to leave. Some guys I know got him in Rifle season a week later by scraping a bush to coax him in.

The biggest factor for me was the WIND WIND WIND....other than that the +20 degrees, sunny conditions, full moon, and hordes of sand flys, mosquitos, and lack of frost were the reasons why calling just plain DID not work as effectively for me this year.

I guess I cannot complain too much and expect a Moose every year but after getting 40" Bull last year(Archery) and calling in 5 Bulls all together last year I shouldn't complain.

Just expected a slam dunk this year but INSTEAD got RE-EDUCATED on just how hard Moose hunting really is...
Old 10-16-2004, 03:42 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Skeeter congrats.....nice size rack! Anit it nice when a hunt comes together!.happy eatn fellow team member!!!

Come on Team 2 more moose!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Same to you Al, congrats and enjoy the eats!

Quick Reply: Filled the freezer - Got Moose!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.